PDA

View Full Version : does anyone kno what size does a (Potamotrygon Ocellata) grow to

sirrus the virrus
08-21-2008, 09:10 PM
im restarting my fish tank and im interested in getting a sting ray i like the look of a Red-blotched river stingray does any one kno wat length they get 2 and how much they cost in the uk many and im open to any things i should kno befor i put a sting ray in a enviroment it wont like many thanks sam

cocoa_pleco
08-21-2008, 09:16 PM
what size tank do you have?

sirrus the virrus
08-22-2008, 05:04 PM
54in L 20in H 20in W

cocoa_pleco
08-22-2008, 06:38 PM
they get 8", your tank should be alright

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/potamotrygonocellata.php

sirrus the virrus
08-23-2008, 04:16 PM
does anyone have any idea of wher i can buy 1 and wat substraight they like if any and if they lik caves annd stuff ???

cocoa_pleco
08-23-2008, 04:58 PM
they like sandy substrate and a few caves. you would have to ask some other UK members here where to get one

duce
08-23-2008, 07:32 PM
ive seen rays in morden halls london it was a maidenhead aquatics where abouts are you? your lfs should be able to order you 1 !

sirrus the virrus
08-23-2008, 08:13 PM
i went today to a maidenhead aquatics and saw a few mortors but not the red blotch i wanted i was wondering if you ask at the till will they order 1 for you ?????

Tolley
08-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Yeah i've seen rays at maidenhead not sure what type though.

No harm in asking!

tanks4thememories
08-24-2008, 05:48 AM
This is from the link CoCoa_Pleco Posted

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/potamotrygonocellata.php

"They need to be in constant movement to get the oxygen they need (just like sharks.) and a large aquarium with a lot of open space is therefore a necessity."

Fishguy2727
08-24-2008, 03:09 PM
That is false that all sharks have to be moving or in a current to get oxygen (water flow across the gills). Yes, many species do, but there are also a number of species that do not. Any that bury into the sand or wedge themselves up into the rockwork on a reef or rock pile are all capable of pumping water across their gills. If you have ever seen any shark that does not constantly swim you will see them pumping water across their gills. This is visible as their gills opening and closing as they pump the water. This is called buccal pumping and uses muscles in the mouth to move the water through the mouth and across and out the gills. Rays are definitely capable of this. Anyone who has watched or has one should have seen it pumping water across its gills. When down on the bottom or even buried in the sand they use their spiracles (those holes on top of the rays as opposed to their mouth and gills which are underneath) to take in water instead of their mouth, if they used their mouth they would get a mouthful of sand. This is visible as the spiracles opening and closing. If they are on the glass you can watch as the gills also open and close.

The required space for rays is not to allow for tons of flow to provide them with oxygenated water (that is a separate issue) it is to allow them ample room to swim. These are VERY active animals when established and comfortable and this requires a lot of swimming space. Flow is still important to maintain high water quality (a big deal with these animals). Oxygenation of the water is required and achieved through more classical methods, like air stones and surface agitation.

tanks4thememories
08-24-2008, 05:26 PM
That is false that all sharks have to be moving or in a current to get oxygen (water flow across the gills). Yes, many species do, but there are also a number of species that do not. Any that bury into the sand or wedge themselves up into the rockwork on a reef or rock pile are all capable of pumping water across their gills. If you have ever seen any shark that does not constantly swim you will see them pumping water across their gills. This is visible as their gills opening and closing as they pump the water. This is called buccal pumping and uses muscles in the mouth to move the water through the mouth and across and out the gills. Rays are definitely capable of this. Anyone who has watched or has one should have seen it pumping water across its gills. When down on the bottom or even buried in the sand they use their spiracles (those holes on top of the rays as opposed to their mouth and gills which are underneath) to take in water instead of their mouth, if they used their mouth they would get a mouthful of sand. This is visible as the spiracles opening and closing. If they are on the glass you can watch as the gills also open and close.

The required space for rays is not to allow for tons of flow to provide them with oxygenated water (that is a separate issue) it is to allow them ample room to swim. These are VERY active animals when established and comfortable and this requires a lot of swimming space. Flow is still important to maintain high water quality (a big deal with these animals). Oxygenation of the water is required and achieved through more classical methods, like air stones and surface agitation.

Good Info thanx!!thumbs2: