PDA

View Full Version : Best food for angelfish?

Doak6021
08-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Through everyone's own experience. What seems to be the best food for angelfish? Include brand and type if you would like. I currently am feeding my angels omega one color flakes, hikari mini cichlid pellets and occasionally some freeze dried bloodworms. What would be a good add to my feeding?

angelcakes
08-20-2008, 12:07 PM
i used frozen not freeze dried bloodworms as frozen is better but i do use freeze dried daphinia,hikari cichlid excel mini pellets as my oscars are two big for them now and they have to go somewhere and they love them:hmm3grin2orange: tetramin crisps,they like a bit of cucumber now and again,peas, tubifex now in typing this thinking there spoilt!!!!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

Stetothevo
10-28-2008, 09:02 PM
I do a cycle with mine, I feed my tank twice a day flake food and then every third day I do a cube of frozen brine shrimp, my angel seems to LOVE the brine shrimp, gets a nice rounded stomach after gorging on them haha.

smaug
10-28-2008, 09:16 PM
as angelcakes mentions,frozen foods are fantastic for angels.I feed mysis shrimp,white worms,blood worms,brine shrimp as well as many different flake and pellet foods from hikari and tetra.

Fishguy2727
10-28-2008, 10:31 PM
I would just do New Life Spectrum, exact type depends on their size. Thera+A would be good since it can help cure and prevent parasites.

DrNic
11-12-2008, 01:54 AM
I like to use flakes with my angels. I have found that for whatever reason some angels just don't eat pellets. That said I also mix in some freeze dried blood worms, and large freeze dried brine shrimp. My angel mix at the moment is a mix of about 5 or 6 different foods;

AngelsPLUS Brine Shrimp flake
AngelsPLUS Earthworm Flake
Kens Brine Shrimp Flake
TetraMax Crisps
TetraMax Color Enhance Flakes
Freeze dried brine shrimp
Freeze dried blood worms
And probably a few other things...

The food works great. The fish eat it up like CRAZY and the females lay eggs ever 5-7 days.

LORENZO
12-02-2008, 10:16 PM
[COLOR="Blue"]Angles love blood worms and shrimp pellets. oh try them on some frozen spirolina and shcrimp together they love that! heavy feeds of shrimp flakes as well.They love to steal the catfish pellets. But there is nothing like a bunch of angels(7) eating up a blob of bloodworms.

BigMac
12-02-2008, 10:38 PM
I feed a combination of frozen Blood Worms, shrip pellets, micro pellets and neon tetras. (neons are not on purpose but they love to chase them, which is new).

Worms seem to be their favorite. Favorite does not = best unfortunetly.

LORENZO
12-02-2008, 10:52 PM
I feed a combination of frozen Blood Worms, shrip pellets, micro pellets and neon tetras. (neons are not on purpose but they love to chase them, which is new).

Worms seem to be their favorite. Favorite does not = best unfortunetly.(zfish) (zfish) what are those micro pellets and who makes them?

Fishguy2727
12-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Sounds like the Hikari Micro Pellets.

smaug
12-02-2008, 11:10 PM
(zfish) (zfish) what are those micro pellets and who makes them?
I use them daily,all my fish love them,I sink a pinch for my hasbro corys and other small mout bottom feeders.My hatchets are also well fed on them as many stay floating longe enough for them to snap them up.

nwnittany
12-02-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm a 'rotation' guy.

I got some NLS religion from 2727 and have some small sinking NLS pellets (don't remember the name off the top of my head) that I feed most nights. I will supplement them with Tetra mini-crisps (or something to that effect...it's a floating, flake-like thing). And, for a treat, I use frozen blood worms, brine shrimp, or spirulina...

I was trying some Hikari cichlid floating pellets, but apparently I got one size too large (I think I got medium) and they are too big and hard for the Angels to eat right away, so they end up floating on the surface for an hour or so until they soften....live and learn...

BigMac
12-02-2008, 11:49 PM
I am using the Hikari Micro Pellets.

All my fish really like them. Neons tear them apart after the angelfish sink them.

It is variety every day in my tanks diet. Tonight is vegitables poached and anchored as a treat.

Lady Hobbs
12-03-2008, 12:13 AM
I gave mine Hikari floating pellets.

LORENZO
12-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Hikari floating pellets. They wouuld be good to try. i tired floating pellets before and they would not eat them. I always give the angels bloodworms. i don't think these fish can go without some frozen foods. But lady hobbs i will try this hikari floating pellets. The angel that had the wound is now healing.

LORENZO
12-11-2008, 12:07 PM
:fish: :fish: :chimney: BLOODWORMS!!! frozen by Hikari. They love those... i am feeding mine the dry bloodworms as well. I should try those hikari mini pellets you are talking about.

Lady Hobbs
12-11-2008, 03:30 PM
IMO, the types of food depend on the substrate as well. It does little good to try to feed your fish small pellets that rush to the bottom of the tank and get lost in the gravel. Sand bottoms or bare bottom tanks solve that solution but some tanks you just may want to have gravel in it.

I prefer fish not having to gulp food from the surface due to sucking in air but I honestly can say that I have never had a fish have that problem so apparently eating from the surface was OK. They do in the wild, don't they? Grab bugs from the surface and whatever lands on the water. My parrots eat from top or bottom of the tank, as well, but I have to make sure whatever falls to the bottom is large enough it remains on top of the gravel bed.

Fishguy2727
12-11-2008, 04:55 PM
In gravel bottomed tanks (and even with sand) it can be very useful to bowl-feed for the exact reason mentioned by Hobbs, it gets in the substrate. There is an article on bowl feeding in my blog for anyone interested.

Sharkman
12-11-2008, 05:45 PM
thanks for making this thread. I am buying angelfish for my girlfriend's mom this christmas and I am in charge of buying the food too so I will pick up some of these things like frozen bloodworms, frozen mysis, and flakes.

LORENZO
12-11-2008, 08:51 PM
:goldfish: :goldfish: Those angels being cichlids really need some frozen food. Blood worms they love them and shrimp pellets. But those bloodworms will give those angels really good colour i think it makes them healthier than giving them just flake all the time.

Fishguy2727
12-12-2008, 02:37 AM
They don't need frozen foods. They need a complete and balanced diet, this may not include frozen at all.

LORENZO
12-12-2008, 11:42 AM
I agree....varied diet but do not forget the bloodworms. mine won't live without Hikari frozen bloodworms!!!!:ssmile: