PDA

View Full Version : Purple Bamboo

W_Oz
08-20-2008, 08:25 AM
So my GF and I are having a spot of trouble tracking down some of these plants for her "Shrine at the Bamboo Forest" Guppy tank (10gal). Does anyone have any experience with these plants? From what she's dug up they're an aquatic stem plant which is capable of submersion and immersion in water. The plan thus far is to start the tank as soon as she can find some of this stuff along with some sort of low grass which is yet to be determined, though dwarf hair grass is high on the list since we can find it at one of the LFSs.

The tank will be an open top setup which we still need to track down a ~20" hanging light fixture (input would be helpful *hint hint*) or something which uses stand-offs to keep it a few inches above the tank. Locally there really isn't much in the way of affordable (read under $50) lighting which could fit this bill which is intended for aquaria, though I've been looking for alternatives at local box stores which might work. Tomorrow I'll be going to the hardware store to see if they have a small shop lamp or something else that might work.

I'll also be buying a sheet of acrylic to make an in-tank baffle filter and a place to hide the water heater. At least that's the plan, I don't know if the GF knows that's what's going to happen or not yet. :c2: (I've talked it over with her and she'd like to just get a small canister to keep as much usable space in the tank as possible).

Anyway! Yeah. Purple Bamboo. Any thoughts?

troy
08-23-2008, 03:52 PM
I'm not sure about purple bamboo, but I do have experience with lucky bamboo. I keep the roots in the water and It gets room light and some times some room light. I've had it for over now.

W_Oz
08-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Purple Bamboo is a different beast than the Lucky Bamboo which needs to have its leaves above the water line. It is grown submerged or immersed, it's a definite aquatic reed/grass based on the applications in show tanks that I've seen. I'll see if I can't dig up a picture of the stuff here... never mind, I remembered I have one on my PC. I'll include it as an attachment. You can clearly see the slender stems and lanceolate leaves of the bamboo on the right side of this tank. I can't recall who's tank this is at the moment though.

sandy_n
08-24-2008, 05:09 AM
It's an awesome looking tank though.
I do like the purple bamboo.

toydoll
08-07-2009, 08:20 AM
So does anybody know where i can buy some purple bamboo?:help: