PDA

View Full Version : Angel eggs ? Confirmation, please... :-)

nwnittany
08-19-2008, 04:01 AM
Pretty sure these are angel eggs, but I'm new at this, so any help will be appreciated.

One book I have says that the angels will eat the eggs and another says the parents will guard/defend them...LOL... I'm trying to figure out if I should just let them stay where they are, or cut the sword off and put it in an in-tank breeder....

Anyway, this was an exciting day for us....We've only had the angels for about a month...

And, yes, that ugly green stuff on the back wall of the tank is algae...I'm still trying to figure out how to balance food, oxygen, light, etc....

Sounguru
08-19-2008, 04:07 AM
They are eggs leave them be and see what the parents do they may eat a few batches, but raising the away from the paernts is a real pain in the .....

They will get it right if you have a pair after a few tries.

If they turn white they are no good and are sterile.

Lady Hobbs
08-19-2008, 04:10 AM
Some do OK with the parents and some don't. More than not, the parents will eat the fry the first few times but they also clean the fungus from the eggs and clean away the dead eggs so they have their purpose, as well.

Algenco raises angels by the tons and I'm sure he'll be around to answer your questions better. I think he separates his eggs from the parents.

nwnittany
08-19-2008, 04:10 AM
soun/Lady,

Right now they appear to be kinda clear (can't tell from the pic - my photographic skills suck big-time).

Thanks for the advice...

Sounguru
08-19-2008, 04:19 AM
No prob I used to raise angels back in the day but I alway sleft the eggs with the parents until the fry were 3 weeks but I had a good set of breeders...

Hails
08-19-2008, 09:02 AM
I have a breeding pair of angels and they have laid eggs 7 times now and every time has a slightly different outcome. However the eggs have never acually made it to become fry, last time i got about 10 wrigglers while all the other eggs got eaten before they hatched only to have my bristlenose come along and have dinner. Just a game of trial and error every breeding pair is different, some take a while to learn how to raise their young, others just never get it. But all the best with it

Lady Hobbs
08-19-2008, 01:48 PM
I had four pair and they ate the eggs each time. But, I had a few other fish in the tank with them and I think other fish make them nervous when they have their eggs and they end up eating the eggs themselves. I actually had wigglers just about to the free swimming stage that become a meal for them.

I know most breeders will put a pair in a breeding tank, after the fish have spawned will take the parents back out. Add a fungus remover and add an air stone very near to the eggs. Bare bottom tank with a sponge filter. I really didn't want 300 angels so just left the eggs with the parents. I like to see parents with their young and how they interact myself.

nwnittany
08-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Well, as of this morning (the first morning since I've noticed the eggs) it looks like the parents are guarding them. Every now and then a danio will get a little close and the parents will give a little lunge towards them to send them away.

The eggs must be tasty, though. I was trying to catch a snail and I bumped the leaf, jarring loose a few eggs. The danios were all over them and gobbled 'em up in no time.

My kids are getting a big kick of out this. I think my oldest son believes he is helping to guard the eggs by shouting "get outta there" when someone else swims by...lol....

nwnittany
08-20-2008, 02:43 PM
Well, all gone this morning. They were in good form last night, still being watched by two angels. Now, the leaf is clean.

Sigh.....was fun while it lasted.

MiamiCuse
08-24-2008, 10:18 PM
just out of curiosity if they do hatch how long is the period between egg laying to hatching?