PDA

View Full Version : pleco foods

themuffinbandit
08-18-2008, 09:42 PM
so i bought my pleco and he is about 3 inches long. not very big. i was wondering what i should feed him. right now im giving him sinking algae wafers and some seaweed, but it doesnt seem like hes eating it. i mean i feed him in the day time and he just hides from me when he sees me usually. hes more active at night. but even when i try to feed him at night, i cant tell if hes eating the food. i have a betta in the tank with him and she's a pig. she eats everything she sees. so what i tried doing was feeding the pleco at night and turning off the lights so that the betta wont see the food and will go to sleep or something. still though, is there any way to tell if hes eating or when to feed him? or for that matter what to feed him?

angelcakes
08-18-2008, 09:45 PM
is his belly nice and fat????
you could also try foods such as cucumber,zuchini,lettace,there all good,
as long as his belly is looking fat (but not to fat) hes eating:19:

OscarFan
08-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Cucumbers peas wafers lettuce zuchini would be good

themuffinbandit
08-18-2008, 10:09 PM
ummm lol. seriously. i dont even know where his stomach is or what it looks like when its full. ive only been able to tell if my betta and neon (non bottomfeeders) are full.

angelcakes
08-18-2008, 10:16 PM
ummm lol. seriously. i dont even know where his stomach is or what it looks like when its full. ive only been able to tell if my betta and neon (non bottomfeeders) are full.
ok,when hes up against the tank glass is his belly level,sinking im,or squashed up against the glass,if its squashed then hes eating.if its sinking in i really would get the veggies out more so cucumber and put it in raw with the rind ON place a fork or spoon or if you have some plant weight to keep the cucumber on the tank floor,

themuffinbandit
08-18-2008, 11:07 PM
but if i wedge it to the floor, the betta goes at it like crazy and doesnt stop eating it. i dont want that fish to die from overeating. =(

angelcakes
08-18-2008, 11:11 PM
but if i wedge it to the floor, the betta goes at it like crazy and doesnt stop eating it. i dont want that fish to die from overeating. =(
he wont die from over eating he will eat until hes had his fill :19:

OscarFan
08-18-2008, 11:15 PM
Fish are smarter then alot give them credit for the majority of them wll not eat themselves to death.

KingFisher
08-18-2008, 11:16 PM
Just feed the pleco at night. If the food is gone in the morning, you know it is the pleco eating it. The betta won't be eating in the dark.

OscarFan
08-18-2008, 11:25 PM
Just realised it is in a 10g. Unless it is one of the smaller plecos he will quickly outgrow that tank.

themuffinbandit
08-19-2008, 03:07 AM
i believe it is one of the smaller plecos but its okay. i have a bigger tank waiting just in case. =)

Demjor19
08-19-2008, 03:35 PM
My plecos also love sweet potatos and yams.