PDA

View Full Version : New plants, quick question

labnjab
08-18-2008, 09:34 PM
We finally received the plants we ordered 2 weeks ago. We have 2 large java ferns, 5 annubis and 2 banana plants I think (they gave us 2 free plants because they had to make a substitution. If i want to possibly have snails, how should i prepare these to go in the tank. Also, i have a sand substrate and one piece of driftwood. Do i just bury the roots of the annubis in the sand and attach the java ferns to the driftwood, or vise versa. These are the fist real plants weve had to sorry for the questions.

country_boy454
08-18-2008, 09:43 PM
You could attach either to the driftwood. I have a bigger piece myself with both and some java moss on it. If you bury either of them make sure the rhizome does not get burried or it will rot and die.

What type of snails you looking for? I can send you some ramshorn with some java moss for the price of shipping which usually runs about $7.

labnjab
08-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Were looking for Malaysian Trumpet Snails to aerate the sand. Thank you tho.

country_boy454
08-18-2008, 10:45 PM
I'll be getting some myself soon hopefully. I got a few with some plants I bought from other ppl on another forum. Haven't seen them in a while so maybe they are doing their job.

labnjab
08-18-2008, 10:55 PM
This tank is still cycling, with 6 guppies (with an established canister filter). Will these plants effect the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate readings. Should i add more of the fish that are in my 30 to increase the biological load so that readings will show up, or to play it safe just leave the guppies. (all of the fish in the 30 will eventually move here.

Oh, and these are going into a new 55. I'll add a picture of how i set the plants up later.

country_boy454
08-18-2008, 11:45 PM
Plants consume ammonia/nitrites. This will help speed up the cycle process.

Alfcea
08-19-2008, 01:00 AM
I would just leave the guppies in. Monitor the water for the presence of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Most probably, the plants will consume the ammonia and you won't have the traditional spike... or if you do, it will be very small. Same thing with the nitrites. If you do not see any spikes whatsoever, then you can safely increase the bioload. Just remember not to do it to quickly. You will be fine.

labnjab
08-19-2008, 01:15 AM
Thanks for the info. I've never had live plants before and didn't know how they would effect the cycle. I'll monitor it for a week or so and if i see no spike I'll add a few cories, although 2 of my guppies are about ready to pop so there will be some fry soon.

Alfcea
08-19-2008, 01:25 AM
Oh, another thing. I don't know about banana plants, but both anubias and java fern are slow growers, so they may not consume too much ammonia, particularly while they get established... they will be able to handle a small bioload, though.

labnjab
08-19-2008, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the help. If these do well I'm gonna order more. The tank doesn't look so empty now that theres plants in it.

labnjab
08-20-2008, 12:19 AM
Added a few of my cories to the planted 55, since I took my fluval 304 off of my 30 and put it into my new 55 the 30 seems to be having ammonia spikes so I lightened the load on the hang on back in it. Hopefully it helps

country_boy454
08-20-2008, 03:18 AM
Added a few of my cories to the planted 55, since I took my fluval 304 off of my 30 and put it into my new 55 the 30 seems to be having ammonia spikes so I lightened the load on the hang on back in it. Hopefully it helps

You can also do some smaller water changes on the 30 if the ammonia spikes get too big.