PDA

View Full Version : How to stack rocks

Northernguy
08-18-2008, 04:56 PM
My Guppy tank needs a change.I'm tired of looking at a boring tank.My kids and I went on a rock hunt.We found all kinds of nice colored rocks.We washed, brushed and boiled all of them after testng them with some vinager.
Now i want to stack them in the corner and work my way along the back wall of the tank.
What can I line the back wall with so I don't crack the glass???????

Any ideas would be appreciated ( Gotta hide some fry)

Algenco
08-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Lexan/ plexiglass

tanks4thememories
08-18-2008, 06:05 PM
how big is the tank?
How big are these rocks?
How high were you planning on stacking the rocks?

duce
08-18-2008, 06:57 PM
ive never had a tank crack from rocks i have pieces of flint and big slate as long as u are sure they wont hit the glass from height it'll be ok.

Lady Hobbs
08-18-2008, 08:34 PM
Not sure rocks are the best thing since guppies aren't rock dwellers but not overloading it with rock and spreading the weight around should be ok.

tanks4thememories
08-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Not sure rocks are the best thing since guppies aren't rock dwellers but not overloading it with rock and spreading the weight around should be ok.

Thats kinda where I was going too. Also you might want to consider more rock = less water less water = less capacity for stock. Also often the size of the tank determines the thickness of the glass which is another reason why I asked for weights and measures.

TowBoater
08-19-2008, 12:10 AM
I would make a small cave in the corner and then use driftwood in it and plant it.

Tigerbarb
08-19-2008, 06:07 AM
I'd make a stairway-based pvc frame, so your rocks won't fall. This will also make the tank look fuller, if the frame is well hidden.
Here is one example of a pvc frame, but it's not the stairway design I had in mind.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k56/MrsDoni/Full%20Tank%20Pics/200709087.jpg

Northernguy
08-19-2008, 05:19 PM
Thanks all.I went to my lfs and they had a styro background.I cut up and made a corner to stavk against.It looks great and the guppies seem to enjoy their new condo.
I'll post pics soon.

Northernguy
08-19-2008, 05:20 PM
oooooooooooooooops! stack against lol

mxman311
08-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Lets see some pics

Hordfest
08-21-2008, 06:56 PM
all i know is that i've seen some guppy tanks with purple plants, majestic yellow castles, rainbow colored marbles for substrate, and a rainbow background. You know since a lot of times, little kids get guppy tanks.

the guppys dont seem to mind that, so i think the rocks will be ok if you don't over do it. haha

Northernguy
08-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Still hopin' for some fry soon.Waiting for the lfs to get a new batch of guppies.

Northernguy
08-21-2008, 09:40 PM
There are 3 in there right now.I'm gtta wait another 2 wks for more.I left them room to swim between and behind the rocks.Lots of room for the fry.If or when it happens.I want to put an upside down cat and a few sword tails as well.

Its coming slowly!

AABatteries
08-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Looks great! :]

soFISHticated lady
10-18-2008, 10:23 PM
My Guppy tank needs a change.I'm tired of looking at a boring tank.My kids and I went on a rock hunt.We found all kinds of nice colored rocks.We washed, brushed and boiled all of them after testng them with some vinager.
Now i want to stack them in the corner and work my way along the back wall of the tank.
What can I line the back wall with so I don't crack the glass???????

Any ideas would be appreciated ( Gotta hide some fry)

I was thinking about using some of my favorite rocks from my rock collection, I can see the point of washing, even boiling the rocks to be clean. but why test with vinegar? what does that do?

I know this is an old thread, I hope some one is lurking with answers :)
thanks
Tara

gourami*girl
10-18-2008, 10:28 PM
I was thinking about using some of my favorite rocks from my rock collection, I can see the point of washing, even boiling the rocks to be clean. but why test with vinegar? what does that do?

I know this is an old thread, I hope some one is lurking with answers :)
thanks
Tara

Testing with vinegar is to see if the rocks will raise the pH of your tank. If they fizz with vinegar, then don't use them, they will raise the pH. If they do not fizz you are good to go.

Also, most don't recommend boiling rocks b/c air pockets in the rock can explode causing rock schrapnel to fly everywhere. Instead, put your rocks in the sink and pour boiling water over them or wash them in a dilute bleach solution and then rinse them very, very well before adding to the tank.

Northernguy
10-19-2008, 02:51 AM
Please don't boil the rocks ,JUST IN CASE OF BOOM!:19:

Scrubbing under running hot or boiling water is recommended:c3:

I boiled them but i would really feel bad if someone did it because I said so and got hurt!

soFISHticated lady
10-19-2008, 03:08 AM
LOL, thanks for the heads up. funny but I actually thought about that( the blowing up) because I have come across many a geode, they are like finding hidden treasure.

would the rocks still fizz if I have already washed them?

Kula
10-22-2008, 05:09 AM
would the rocks still fizz if I have already washed them?
Yep. Make sure you test them out with vinegar before putting them in the tank!