PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Snails

chester82006
08-18-2008, 04:20 AM
I bought 2 golden mystery snails yesterday. When they were first put into the tank, they were active for a few hours. Then ended up at the bottom stationary for most of the day yesterday and all day today. I checked on them just before, and both of them were active doing their job. Are they nocturnal? Or were they hibernating? I thought they were dead :\

Mvjnz
08-18-2008, 04:23 AM
If they find heaps of food there's no reason for them to be constantly moving. They only move while they are looking for food or are about to mate/lay eggs. They don't move for the fun of it, so while they are being fed heaps they have no reason to move:)

They don't normally hibernate in aquariums, but some of them show nocturnal tendencies. Mine are usually active during the day as well tho.

chester82006
08-18-2008, 04:27 AM
I was worried that my Oscar picked at them and were afraid to move or they got eaten. Well I'm glad to know that they only move when needed. Thanks so much!

Mvjnz
08-18-2008, 06:45 AM
Well, if they get picked on a lot they will be scared to come out of their shell, which isn't good. But unless it's a regular thing and the oscar is really bullying the snail I wouldn't worry about it.