PDA

View Full Version : pregnant male?

leahbb
12-28-2006, 03:27 PM
hey guys,
my name is leah. i have a male betta. have had several in the past, but this one suddenly looks pregnant.
i know he's a male, but belly swollen and white colored. he is swimming ok and continues to eat. my mother has been assisting in the feeding when i work late, and i think that may be the problem.
can i not feed for a couple of days and see if the problem resolves?
i know sometimes parasites are a problem, but how do you resolve that isue?
he get bloodworms and betta flakes. should i feed just once a day?
thanks.

Lady Hobbs
12-28-2006, 03:35 PM
He is probably being overfed and is constipated. Try giving him some cooked frozen peas, mashed. And let him go without food for a couple days.

And no, HE is not pregnant.

jeffs99dime
12-28-2006, 06:12 PM
hello leah, welcome to a.c.thumbs2:

minabird
12-28-2006, 06:31 PM
Leah-

I agree with hobbs that your bette is being overfed and, from what it sounds like, he's getting fat! Replacing one of his feedings with a pea as hobbs suggested is a great idea. My bettas, and my other fish, except for my bumblebee goby, loves peas and now I feed those to them on a weekly basis. You may also want to skip 1 day a week and not feed your fish. I've read on several sites that this is healthy for the fish's digestion. I've been doing it for a couple of months now and I can't see any difference but if it isn't hurting I'll keep on skipping a feeding. You might also want to try and give him a little more variety; besides peas, also try betta pellets, tubifex worms, and frozen brine shrimp. Feeding him a variety will ensure he gets all the proper vitamins, minerals, etc. that he needs and may also prevent him from becoming a picky eater. When I started feeding my betta bloodworms, he wouldn't eat anything else; he ignored everything else and would just eat bloodworms. To break him of it, I skipped the bloodworms for a couple weeks and just fed him the pellets and flakes daily and brine shrimp once a week. Once he started eating those on a regular basis, I started giving him the bloodworms, but just once a week.

Good luck with the betta weight watchers program!

jman
12-28-2006, 06:33 PM
welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!!!
-----------------------------
i'll kick anyone's butt for ya lololololololololol