PDA

View Full Version : Fungus

ladyoutlaw50
08-17-2008, 05:50 PM
The bf's bettas are slowly getting sick - one after another!! None of them are kept in the same tank together -- they all seem to be getting some kind of fungus --- we keep checking water and all is in the good -- meaning ph is fine, temp, ammonia and so forth. What could be causing the fungus??? what is the best to try to treat with -- he is getting very discouraged -- 2 females have already passed and now his 2 month old fry has it!! He said if they keep passing he is going to give up on fish keeping!!!
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Tolley
08-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Is it possible the fungus bacteria could be being carried in water from other tanks? I read somewhere that quarantine tanks should have completely different buckets and everything so to one drop could pass to the main tank.

Sounguru
08-17-2008, 06:35 PM
I would suspect some kind of transfer as Tolley mentioned...

I would soak all the supplies in a light bleach solution.. Anything that has come in contact with the water in a tank and is used in more than one tank. Nets, Water Changer, etc....

I would also medicate every tank and try to stop it in it's tracks. It could be a fungus that doesn't attack right away and is already in every tank.

ladyoutlaw50
08-17-2008, 08:40 PM
ok thanks -- everyone -- we will get right on that

Nick_Pavlovski
08-18-2008, 01:46 AM
You are treating the water before you add it to the tanks, aren't you?

f.lanzarone
08-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Do you know that the bettas have a fungus for sure? Because there could be a bacterial, fungal, parasitic, or even a chemical problem. For a chemical problem, using betta water conditioner would fix that, and for a bacterial, fungal or parasitic problem the local petstores carry treatments. You would just have to find out what the problem is.

cathy_n
08-28-2008, 10:09 PM
I would suspect some kind of transfer as Tolley mentioned...

I would soak all the supplies in a light bleach solution.. Anything that has come in contact with the water in a tank and is used in more than one tank. Nets, Water Changer, etc....

I second... well, third... the advice to thoroughly sanitize anything that is used in more than one tank.

Are you sure it's fungus? For instance, here's a webpage with a potentially different diagnosis. http://nippyfish.blogspot.com/2006/11/medicating-for-betta-fungus.html

ladyoutlaw50
08-29-2008, 12:21 AM
They passed -- we are down to 3 male bettas who are doing great and are very healthy!!