PDA

View Full Version : Angelfish

10catfish
08-17-2008, 04:40 PM
I just set up a 55 gallon tank ....I have always wanted angels. I am not having very good luck seem to be losing them all. Can some one give me some general guidelines? Should I use bottled water to do water changes? I'm going to Petsmart right now to get a heater I think it's a little to cold 78 degrees. I get so attached so quick I don't Want to keep finding them dead. I use one local fish store for all my fish...she said the water was fine but i"m going to buy a test kit. These last Angels were from a local breeder. I bought plants from here could those be the problem? All I ever wanted was an Angel Tank I'm starting to get very depressed about the whole process. Thanks for any help!

gm72
08-17-2008, 04:58 PM
First of all, welcome aboard!

A few things:
1. 78 degrees is fine.
2. Bottled water is not needed, just use conditioned tap water.
3. A test kit, liquid variety vs. strips, is absolutely necessary. Good job there.

Some of our experienced Angel keepers will be along shortly to help you in further detail. Best of luck!

fins_n_fur
08-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Totally agree with gm72's info. What sort of problem did you have before with the angels dying? How do you acclimate your fish before putting them in your tank? Are there other fish in the tank currently?

gm72
08-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Great questions to add!

I'll add another and ask if the tank was cycled prior to placing the fish?

smaug
08-17-2008, 05:35 PM
Angels are not a good first choice for a new tank or the uninitiated.They have so many quirks in there personality's and are not good choices for tank mates for many fish.
some things that angels need to do there best are
temp;78-84 deg
ph:7.5 or less,less being better
water hardness:softer is better then hard
tank mates:that wont fit in there mouth and no fin nippers ie,barbs,puffers some tetra.
tank decor:Long leaved tall plants such as swords and vals,try to stay away from bushy snagging plants they can get stuck in,they are greedy eaters and will go anywhere for a piece of food.
foods:sparingly ,frequently instead of lots once in a while,angels are gluttons and will overeat and get bound up or get fatty liver disease if fed rich foods often.
Water movement:gentle current should be provided as they are good swimmers and seem to enjoy catching a wave,keep strong powerhead type water movement out of angel tanks as they do not do well with strong currents.
Water changes:more then you would do for tetra,barb,cichlid tanks 40%weekly.Angels do much better with clean water conditions and there luxurious finnage will show your hard work,or your laziness.
Angel attitude:get 5-6 to start get them small [under 1.5"} be prepared for aggression as they pair off and have new homes available to the ones you cannot keep.It will happen,they get hateful at breeding time.

10catfish
09-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Yes I circulated the water for over a week before adding fish. I did buy a test kit. The water is perfect. I have one of my original angels left....2 others....no other fish. I have noticed they are always hungry so the tip frequent but not a lot was a good one. All the new ones I have added have died. I have tried to keep 6 in there. The last 3 days I have lost 1 a day. I usually float the bag for about 20 minutes. then poke a hole & add a little of my water probably once or twice. Could they be diseased before I even get them? I have had better luck with the ones from Petsmart than the ones from a local fish store. Angels have always been the ones I wanted my husband keeps saying we may have to switch to something hardier but I Love The Angels!! I bought a heater because I didn't have one. Any info will be helpful.

Thanks

10catfish
09-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Oh I do see the angels getting caught in the intake tube to the filter is there something else to put on the bottom of that?

travie
09-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Yes I circulated the water for over a week before adding fish. I did buy a test kit. The water is perfect. Could they be diseased before I even get them? I have had better luck with the ones from Petsmart than the ones from a local fish store.

Your fish tank is not cycled. Circulating the water for a week with no ammonia source is not cycling. Go here to learn about Cycling info (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/forumdisplay.php?f=111). The reason your Petsmart angels are doing better then the LFS fish, is because the Petsmart angels are use to ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates being in the water. The LFS fish are probably not use to ammonia or nitrites, and very little of the last one. A sponge on the intake tube would help your angelfish getting stuck to the tube.

NickFish
09-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Agreed, your tank is not cycled.

It is not enough to have your tank water moving around, there needs to be a source of ammonia, and it usually takes at least 3 weeks to a month and sometimes longer.

Until a tank is properly cycled, all but the hardiest fish will die if proper precautions are not taken.

10catfish
09-01-2008, 10:50 PM
When you say sponge what do you mean?