PDA

View Full Version : What should I get

mr_rich
12-27-2006, 10:02 PM
Hi everyone, was just wondering just bought a new 56 gallon tank and was thinking of putting in Cichlids in it. I right now have 2 large Angel fish, 3 goroumis, 1 cat fish, and a pleco. What would be good ones to add to the tank when it is done cycling, and how many would i be able to have in it.

I would rather have a nice active tank with as many fish as i can in it if possible..

Thanks Rich

jman
12-27-2006, 10:06 PM
--cichlids[/url] and info.

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/cichlids.htm

you can pick from them

jeffs99dime
12-27-2006, 10:10 PM
keyholes and kribensis would be my choice. for keyholes i wouldn't go anymore than 4. for kribensis don't get more than 1 male

jman
12-27-2006, 10:15 PM
i am going to get cockatoo dwarf cichlids next.
my 30 gallon is turning into a dwarf tank iv'e made the changes and the green terror has gotten used to it

mr_rich
12-27-2006, 11:56 PM
So i'm not to sure but from reading a bunch of post, is it okay to have a few small cichlids with other community fish, cause i always remember seeing that they say these fish are not community fish.

excuse my ignorance.

thanks

jeffs99dime
12-28-2006, 03:21 AM
So i'm not to sure but from reading a bunch of post, is it okay to have a few small cichlids with other community fish, cause i always remember seeing that they say these fish are not community fish.

excuse my ignorance.

thanks

not all cichlids are community tank compatible. there are some but not most. cichlids, for the most part are generally more aggressive than other community fish (tetras, corys, etc.)

jman
12-28-2006, 03:41 AM
depending on the size of the cichlid you can determine the aggresstion of most cichlids... dwarfs are mostly small but still are aggressive at least mine anyway, to community fish

jeffs99dime
12-28-2006, 03:48 AM
let me rephrase what i said earlier: all cichlids are more aggressive than your typical community fish, especially during breeding! some are more aggressive than others though.

jman
12-28-2006, 03:54 AM
let me rephrase what i said earlier: all cichlids are more aggressive than your typical community fish, especially during breeding! some are more aggressive than others though.

i knew you understood i was just trying to give some advice so that no one else gets confused.lol

mr_rich
12-28-2006, 10:46 PM
Thanks I think i'll stick with what I know for now, maybe do a tank of cichlids by themself from the sounds of this and from reading.

jeffs99dime
12-28-2006, 11:46 PM
i knew you understood i was just trying to give some advice so that no one else gets confused.lol

gotcha! lol

Lady Hobbs
12-29-2006, 04:21 AM
I see you wrote you were still cycling and had angels in there....and a pleco and gourami's. This is very touch and go for angels as they are delicate fish and do not make a good cycling fish at all. They demand perfect water. The pleco should not be in that tank, yet, either as there is nothing for him to eat in a new tank. Gourami's also seldom will live thru a cycle.

I don't suppose you have a friend who has a tank that can take these in until your tank has cycled? I really don't know what to tell you at this stage in the game. I would strongly suggest you get some Bio-Spira and see if you can get a fast cycle going.

mr_rich
12-30-2006, 06:48 AM
no all the fish i have right now are in a smaller tank 30 gallon, sorry about the mix up. I bought a new tank and that one is cycling, so far so good, amonia at .5, nitrite 4.5 so hopefully everything goes down to zero soon enough, i sometime can be impatient but i'll wait this time till its perfect so that i dont loose any fish.

But this forum has made me a lot brighter about the chemicals in the tank and such. I've had aquariums since i was a kid, but really didn't get really into it till about 4 years ago. I never had a test kit in that whole time, only added water stabalizer when i added water, and bacteria once a month. Still not to sure about the bacteria.

But sorry about the confussion.

I'm not being cruel to the fish THIS time....

Rich

jeffs99dime
12-30-2006, 02:06 PM
wise decision mr rich!