PDA

View Full Version : Floating plants question

doug z
08-16-2008, 03:55 AM
I filled my tank pretty much to the brim today (see my "oh no" post)..

I have frogbit in my tank, though..

If I move them out from directly under the lights, will they be ok?

ie. How much space do they need between the surface of the water and the aquarium light strips to get enough light?

Does it have to shine on them directly, or is peripheral (more like at a 90 deg angle!) light good enough?

Thanks!

smaug
08-16-2008, 10:41 AM
I had dwarf water lettuce till recently.It did fine just 2 inches under the lights [270 watts].As the temp naturally got warmer in the house it eventually died out though.I kept it this way for around 7 months.My water temp creaps into the the very high 80s [max 87deg f] during the summer months.

doug z
08-17-2008, 02:00 AM
My water temp creaps into the the very high 80s [max 87deg f] during the summer months.

See, how can the fish take that kind of heat?

You'd think they'd be in trouble at that temp..

cocoa_pleco
08-17-2008, 02:21 AM
See, how can the fish take that kind of heat?

You'd think they'd be in trouble at that temp..

my 90g is at about 85f purposely, its a south american tank and all of the fish are fine. ive never had a sick fish in the tank.

doug z
08-17-2008, 02:30 AM
Huh..

'Cause you read the fish profiles, and they're all "Max 79, max 81"...

smaug
08-17-2008, 03:28 AM
I guess the fish didnt read the profiles!My tank gets that way every summer.

PUNISHER VETTE
08-17-2008, 03:39 AM
My frogbit did start to die under my lighting. I added a fan to help with circulation but i don't think that helped.

I'm still not sure what i need to do so i'd just do it by trial and error. If you start to see the leaves dying then change it up.

doug z
08-17-2008, 04:38 AM
What I did today is I took 2 suction cups, attach them to either side of the tank (length-wise) and tied a piece of thread to them and set it just below the surface of the water.

So now the thread catches the roots of the plants and keeps them from going beneath the lights..

So hopefully I'll be ok.