PDA

View Full Version : electric blues and yellows

brent3369
12-27-2006, 03:13 PM
If electric yellows and blues are kept in the same tank, would they cross breed?

f1oored
12-27-2006, 08:19 PM
The electric blue is a hap and the yellow is a lab. I don't believe they will cross breed and I also don't think it is recommended that they be kept together as the hap will grow to almost twice the size of the lab.

Fishguy2727
12-27-2006, 08:21 PM
There are also electric blue peacocks and probably a mbuna or two called electric blue by some, so it depends on how closely related they are and which electric blue we are talking about here. If you have mbunas there should not be open water haps or peacocks in the tank.

jman
12-27-2006, 09:48 PM
i agree they dont really need to be together because of size + aggrestion

jeffs99dime
12-27-2006, 10:23 PM
yeah. i wouldn't put those two together. that could be disasterous

Cichlid_Man
12-28-2006, 12:23 PM
If electric yellows and blues are kept in the same tank, would they cross breed?

Hi,
The previous posts were excellent! It is gennerally not a good idea to keep these 2 fish together, BUT!
I can answer this from my personal experience.

While it is true that they should not be kept together, mine have been fine since May. I have LOTS of caves and hiding places, but never really needed to control aggression. They got along well from the start, and they have cross-bred for me.

I can't say this would be true in every case, so if you have the option, I wouldn't keep them together unless trying to breed them is something you want to do. They make really beautiful fish!

Fishguy2727
12-28-2006, 02:04 PM
Exactly which species of electric blue are we talking about here? (for both people with them)

brent3369
12-28-2006, 02:14 PM
I am not trying to cross breed them. I am trying to get alot of color in a tank. I have a 25 gallon tank with rosie reds and calico fantails. My wife wants to see anything but all orange...lol. I have a 60 gallon to set up and want some yellow, orange and blue in it.

Severus
12-28-2006, 04:09 PM
You should go with Peacocks or Mbunas, they will give you all the colors you are looking for. And once again what species of electric blue are you referring to.

jeffs99dime
12-28-2006, 05:44 PM
You should go with Peacocks or Mbunas, they will give you all the colors you are looking for. And once again what species of electric blue are you referring to.

this is a vital question

jman
12-28-2006, 06:27 PM
peacocks are great for color finders i am quite shore you know how to take care of them but i have a few.

Cichlid_Man
12-29-2006, 12:22 AM
Exactly which species of electric blue are we talking about here? (for both people with them)

I was talking about this:
The Electric Blue is native only to Lake Malawi in Africa. Historically, this fish was classified in the genus "Haplochromis" and the species "ahli". ...
If you are not wanting to try cross-breeding, then I wouldn't put these in with Yellow Labs. Just because mine have been getting along, doesn't hold true for all.

Fishguy2727
12-29-2006, 01:59 AM
They may get along for now, but once they get bigger and more mature, the others will probably be on the losing end. I got one thinking it was a peacock until he was in the tank and saw how different his body was. He quickly became too aggressive and had to come out. I took him to my work and he sold by the end of the day.

Brent, which electric blue do you have?

jeffs99dime
12-29-2006, 03:26 AM
I was talking about this:
The Electric Blue is native only to Lake Malawi in Africa. Historically, this fish was classified in the genus "Haplochromis" and the species "ahli". ...
If you are not wanting to try cross-breeding, then I wouldn't put these in with Yellow Labs. Just because mine have been getting along, doesn't hold true for all.

the point i was trying to make as well. cichlids are very unpredictable

Lady Hobbs
12-29-2006, 04:05 AM
Even angelfish. That cichlid thing does come out. Several may be fine but there's always that "boss" that doesn't seem to like anything around him at all.

f1oored
12-30-2006, 10:17 AM
If you want blue and yellow and orange get...
P. Kennyi (females are pretty blue)
Yellow Labs
Red Zebras

All are mbunas, all will grow to about the same size and all are often housed in same aquarium. Haps and mbunas seems like a bad idea.

10wingfish
02-02-2007, 06:00 PM
I had housed Sciaenochromis Freyeri (Electric Blues) and Yellow Labs together in a 55 gallon for a couple of years with no problems. The Male Blue ruled the tank, but no damaging agression. The Yellows and Blue mated several times and what a treasure to watch and monitor these behaviors. There were never any "crossbreedings" These two breeds look beautiful together in a large enough aquarium. Visitors could not believe these were not saltwater fish.

Go for it if these are the variations that are being considered!

Cichlid_Man
02-02-2007, 06:26 PM
I have electric blues and yellows, I also have P Kennyi, Scolofi and Auratus.
According to what you read, my fish should be dead, but they actually are getting along just fine.
I switch my rocks around each month or so and nobody gets too territorial.
Also, as I have posted before, my feeding schedule is set up so they eat four times a day, 30 seconds at a time. It still equals the same 2 minutes that is suggested.
It gives them something to do besides fighting.
I actually also threw in some sharks for the Cichlids to chase around and they are fine and have adapted well to the water chemistry.
Nobody is getting hurt.
Hiding places, changing decor around, feeding small portions 4 times a day and you can put what you want in there.

10wingfish
02-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Excellent points Cichlid Man. If there is enough room and enough hiding places/territories there should be no problems. I hadn't thought about the feeding strategies, but sounds like an excellent idea.