PDA

View Full Version : Heckels / Wilds,......Lets Discus / Discuss

David Hughes
08-15-2008, 02:12 AM
Can someone share info on Heckels up to date?
All of the info / books I see on them is from the mid 90's.

A few questions:
1. Are the breed in regularity now days?
2. Are they good tank mates with domestic breed strains
3. Can they live in the variable water, PH, Hardness, Tap water, that domestic strains are living in?

I'm in the dark about wilds and Heckels which I love the tiger strip round look they have and would like to consider putting them in a planted tank.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
08-15-2008, 02:17 AM
1. Yes they are bred quite regularly now but are still one of the highest priced captive bred Discus as they are not extremely common. You need to find a breeder to purchase them.

2. I personally would not mix them. If you have Heckles they can be a bit aggressive towards the captive strains. Also, if by chance they do pair up with another strain then you will have tainted the bloodline and that is what makes them so valuable.

3. No. Since they have been bred as a pure strain of wilds they need to keep the water parameters for the wild, in other words you need a pH of 4.5-5.5.

dean30bb
08-15-2008, 06:36 AM
i agree with gold barb i had hekles hey are a bit more harder to take care of i got mine from discus senctuary in malasia a while back now and i kept them at a PH of 5.0 i did have them with my normal captive bred red melons blue diamonds turks ect. but i ended up moving then becauce they were to agro against the others.

Esquire
08-22-2008, 07:01 PM
A couple of nice Heckles

dean30bb
08-24-2008, 06:17 AM
awsome they look great i love the first one

are they yours?

Esquire
08-24-2008, 06:47 PM
No not mine, i wish they were.