PDA

View Full Version : Sick male betta

labnjab
08-15-2008, 01:55 AM
I posted a week or so ago about Freddie having a tear in his side fin. We've given him a few doses of melifix and it it hasn't gotten any worse, but it also hasn't gotten any better. I did a water change today due to a slight spike in ammonia, which was odd because I just did a 25% change 2 days ago Usually we feed him in a hurry before work and after dinner, and its always been 5 small betta floating pellets twice a day and he always ate them pretty quickly, and lately we haven't been watching if he's been eating them or not. Well when I vacuumed his gravel and I found the reason for the ammonia spike, he hasn't been eating (his food blends in with the gravel). I picked up a few days worth of leftover food.

He has been very lethargic, although he swims fine and looks fine other then the ripped fin, but spends most of the day around the heater. I've tried peas in case he was constipated and he won't touch them. I've also tried bloodworms and he doesn't touch them either.

Water has been at 80 degrees and other than than the ammonia spike the parameters have been normal.
Is there anything else we can try, or is it just getting close to "his time"? We've had him a year and who knows how old he was when we got him. Hes defiantly not the fish he was 6 months ago (he actually seemed happier in his gallon unfiltered tank when first got him when we didn't know what we were doing) Sorry for the long post and thank you for any help.

cathy_n
08-15-2008, 09:10 PM
Sounds like a tricky situation. First, kudos to you for keeping a betta alive and happy for so long! I have a friend who has been through several in a year, so I wouldn't suspect your caretaking to be at fault.

Is he going after the food and then spitting it out? Or is he just ignoring it entirely?

Others on this forum have told me a betta can go a week without eating, so I hope you're able to entice him to eat something soon. It's sad that he's not taking blood worms, since most bettas will jump on those like they're candy. Bettas seem to love stinky foods with garlic in them. Do your pellets contain garlic? The Hikari Bio Gold pellets I use do. They're the only pellets my betta will eat.

If your betta is taking in the pellets then spitting them out, I'd suspect a) constipation b) illness c) he's gotten picky d) the pellets are too hard and need to be pre-soaked.

If your betta is ignoring the food entirely, I'd suspect a) illness b) water quality c) age.

I'd be on the lookout for any sign of an opportunistic illness as a result of his fin wound. Do you use aquarium salt? I have read it can help reduce stress and infection. I use 1/4 teaspoon per gallon in my little tank. I've used up to 1 teaspoon per gallon when my betta was sick with Ich, though I worked him up to that amount. Take a flashlight and have a good look at him to see if anything unusual is present.

Fish diseases can be pretty vague. I hope it's nothing serious...

labnjab
08-15-2008, 10:45 PM
We watched him today, for a while he's been ignoring them, but today he ate one and ignored the rest. Since we had him up until recently he has always eaten 5, and within a minute. We don't use salt, as I've seen so many mixed opinions about it, i don't know what to think and up until recently he's had a snail with him, which died last week, we got them about the same time. Should I add some salt. His fin has gotten a little better.

My biggest concern is him being so lazy. He use to be extremely active. I know there usually inactive, but he use to act like our guppies, swimming wildly all day and would even dance to certain songs.

Also, I think my female betta has a broken jaw (shes in a community tank), she still eats normal and is active, but she has had a white speck in the corner of her mouth for a few weeks and here lower jaw doesn't seem right, i'd get a picture but she won't stay still long enough.

And thanks for the response and help.

GouramiGal
08-16-2008, 03:53 PM
How is the betta doing today, lab?

labnjab
08-16-2008, 05:40 PM
Seems to be better, he ate a few pieces, but he's still not very active. Thank you for asking.

GouramiGal
08-16-2008, 09:50 PM
You're welcome!

Look at it this way: the betta isn't better but it isn't worse, either!

themuffinbandit
08-17-2008, 01:33 AM
hmmm. maybe do a 100% water change or mix up the temp? my betta was really active and then got suddenly lethargic. but i did a full water changed and lowered the temp a bit like to 70 and hes been really active. though right now he likes temps of up to 86 degrees. -____- O_o?! i worked him up to it though with my cheap mini heater. my bad. but hes healthy and active so maybe try doing the same?

cathy_n
08-17-2008, 04:11 AM
Seems to be better, he ate a few pieces, but he's still not very active. Thank you for asking.

Glad to hear he's eating, even if it's not as much as usual. I wonder what was bugging him? You take such good care of him... it should pass soon.

labnjab
08-17-2008, 04:55 AM
His heater is unadjustable, but we will be doing a large change tomorrow to put his tank under the stand of the new 55 we are setting up. I see if that helps any.

donvichu
08-17-2008, 01:32 PM
Why dont you try feeding him peas...that should take care of any problems due to constipation...yours looks like constipation....also how long have you been having him?any idea what his age might be?good luck and hope the betta comes out of his illness soon

labnjab
08-18-2008, 04:01 AM
He won't take peas, but today i have been moving tanks around to make room for my new 55 (his will go under it) and i drained most of his water to move his tank. Then filled it only halfway because he's on the floor till tomorrow so i can cut a board to fit underneath the 55. He seems way more active now that he's only in 5 gallons and I've left the filter off (one night shouldn't hurt, the first 6 months we had he was in an unfiltered small tank). It seems to be something to do with the more water and slight current (very slight, its a small HOB) from the filter that is making him lethargic. When put his tank back where its suppose to go I'm gonna leave the filter off and see if he perks up (his filter media is in another tanks hob to keep the bacteria alive). I'm gonna pay close attention to the water parameters while his filter off but if he starts acting like he use to then i'll look for another type of filter.

cathy_n
08-18-2008, 02:01 PM
It seems to be something to do with the more water and slight current (very slight, its a small HOB) from the filter that is making him lethargic. When put his tank back where its suppose to go I'm gonna leave the filter off and see if he perks up (his filter media is in another tanks hob to keep the bacteria alive). I'm gonna pay close attention to the water parameters while his filter off but if he starts acting like he use to then i'll look for another type of filter.

Interesting... what type of filter do you use in his tank?

I have a Whisper 3i which is driven by an air pump in my 2.5 gallon tank. Most of the turbulence is at the water line with only a slight current underwater.

I know you have a bigger tank, so you probably have a bigger filter with a high gallons per hour flow rate to make sure all the water in the tank circulates. I wonder if you'd do better to have two lower flow rate filters in the tank?

labnjab
08-18-2008, 04:10 PM
Its a small aqua-tech that comes with the 10 gallon starter tanks at walmart. It seems to just trickle out, but it must be enough to stress him. I'm on lunch now and i found him not sleeping under his heater, which is whats he has been doing for a few weeks. I fed him and he flew right to the food and ate it all right away. I'm thinking its more so the current then water level. Would it be alright to just run his filter at night while he's sleeping and keep it off during the day? I will keep the filter media in another tank to keep the bacteria alive.

labnjab
08-20-2008, 01:46 AM
I have Freddie's tank repositioned, filled, and filters running and he seems to be way better. Eating everything and not sitting under his heater all day. Something made him get better, i don't know what. But thanks for all the input.

cathy_n
08-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Great news! Thanks for the update.

GouramiGal
08-21-2008, 07:13 PM
I have Freddie's tank repositioned, filled, and filters running and he seems to be way better. Eating everything and not sitting under his heater all day. Something made him get better, i don't know what. But thanks for all the input.

Hooray!! :19: :19: