PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone

mr_rich
12-27-2006, 12:00 PM
Hi there, I've had fish aquariums for some years now. some times i do well with them other times complete disaster. This page has been great to make me more knowledgable. I have a 30 gallon tank with some Large Angels, a couple of gouramis, a cat fish and a med. size pleco.

I have just bought a new 56 gallon tank and was thinking of going from a community tank to a Cichlids tank, but have no knowledge on them, what kind should i get. How many would be go for that size tank. Any help would be great.

And yes I'm doing a fishless cycle right now, how long should i do that for until the nitrates and amonia are 0 right?

Thanks Rich

jeffs99dime
12-27-2006, 12:20 PM
hello. welcome to a.c. you are correct. your ammo and nitrites have to "stay" at 0.

Lady Hobbs
12-27-2006, 07:00 PM
There's a difference between nitrites and nitrates.

Ammonia=nitrites=nitrates. Ammonia will be 0, nitrites 0 and you will then have high nitrates. Before adding your fish to this finished cycle, make sure you do a water change to bring the nitrates down to a safe level as well which anything under 10. would be OK with 5. even better.

Fishless cycling is adding enough ammonia daily to bring your ammonia levels to 5. You continue doing this until you show nitrites and then drop the ammonia back to 3. Continue on and soon you will have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites and high nitrates.

You, my friend, are very smart to go the fishless cycle method!!!!!!!! PS.......And I like your User name......a lot. I have been looking for Mr Rich most of my life and here you are! LOL

I would bring the topic up of cichlids in the cichlid threads. You will get more answers to that question there, I believe. I have also debated cichlids for some time. I think with the size tank you have, Yellow Labs would be a good choice. The Peacocks are awesome but they get about 6 inches and you won't be able to have many in a 55 gallon. What held me back on peacocks is they recommend only one male in a 55 gallon tank and I didn't want a tank full of colorless females. And thousands of babies. LOL I do think they are prettiest, tho.

Also (I know, I talk a lot) a 30 gallon will not be large enough for angels for long. I currently have 2 in my 30 gallon (alone) and altho they have room right now, if they were breeding it would be much too small.

(still talking) What you could do is have your angels in the larger tank with other things like Silver Dollars and turn that 30 gallon into a tank with Kribs, Keyhole cichlids and small cichlids like that. Or......go with Blue Rams. Just my suggestions.

jman
12-27-2006, 09:53 PM
welcome to AC hope ya got questions

Jman23
12-27-2006, 09:56 PM
Welcome to AC! If u have any questions do not ask me! Lol sike, but somebody else will answer them. Maybe even my husband! Everyone here is very nice and helpful. Good luck!!!!!!!!thumbs2:

mr_rich
12-27-2006, 09:58 PM
thanks all, don't worry about talking to much, so do I, But Rich is just a short form for my name is all, Money comes and goes lol.

Asked a person at Big Al's Aquarium today about fishless cycle and he told me, Now I'm not making this up. I turned my head when he said it in a WTF.

Use a shot glass of human piss. to add to the water.

Anyone heard of this before.

jeffs99dime
12-27-2006, 10:16 PM
nope. can't say i've ever heard of that! lol
** please refrain from using inappropriate language on this forum, as some members (who may be children) are watching. thanks--jeff:ezpi_wink1:

mr_rich
12-27-2006, 11:48 PM
no problem sorry about that i'm also from a car forum where its norm, but will remember to not use inappropriate language. Sorry about that

Abbeys_Mom
12-28-2006, 12:00 AM
Welcome to the forum :)

jeffs99dime
12-28-2006, 03:24 AM
no problem sorry about that i'm also from a car forum where its norm, but will remember to not use inappropriate language. Sorry about that

what kind of cars? if you don't mind me asking? i build custom trucks.--jeff

Severus
12-28-2006, 05:18 AM
Welcome to AC. I am also into cars.. maybe a little too much

crackatinny
12-28-2006, 09:03 AM
Welcome to AC, this forum is growing every day:19:

mr_rich
12-28-2006, 10:44 PM
what kind of cars? if you don't mind me asking? i build custom trucks.--jeff

I'm in GrandsOntario. 04 Grand am, lowered 2 inches, rims, Hids, sound system, etc. also part of a lower rider club with trucks. lowclasscustomz.ca

jeffs99dime
12-28-2006, 11:47 PM
I'm in GrandsOntario. 04 Grand am, lowered 2 inches, rims, Hids, sound system, etc. also part of a lower rider club with trucks. lowclasscustomz.ca

very nice! i'm on s10forum.com, and njtruckscene.com