PDA

View Full Version : Moving pleco to another tank

DaveS
08-14-2008, 10:37 AM
I have a livebearer tank that builds up algae. This tank is slightly brackish (half tspn/g)

I have two young plecos in a community tank that have just started to show aggression (well, one has). Not that this is a problem yet,but I figured I could put one in the livebearer tank to eat the algae.

Problem is, which one should I move? and will it be OK with the salt?

Gemstone
08-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Neither one would be OK with the salt I am afraid..if you have nowhere for it to go...how about taking it back to your lfs???

toddnbecka
08-14-2008, 05:34 PM
That amount of salt won't bother most FW fish, but why are you adding salt to begin with? It certainly isn't necessary for normal maintenance.
What kind of pleco's are they, how big are they, and what size tanks are we talking about here?

DaveS
08-14-2008, 10:07 PM
why are you adding salt to begin with?
It is a tank of mollies.

What kind of pleco's are they, how big are they, and what size tanks are we talking about here?
Bristlenose, 2 inches, both are 20g.

toddnbecka
08-15-2008, 04:43 AM
Mollies can live in anything from FW to full SW, but as long as the water is hard and alkaline salt isn't necessary. As for the BN's, unless you have a pair I'd definitely move one to the other tank. A 20 gallon is about the right size for a single BN. Though it would be alright for a spawning pair, 2 males aren't going to share it peacefully.

DaveS
08-15-2008, 08:18 AM
as long as the water is hard and alkaline
My tap water is so soft I've been using crushed coral and salt. I've moved the less aggressive pleco and he already seems happier. No ill effects from the water. He's pleased he can eat his zucchini in peace.

toddnbecka
08-15-2008, 05:21 PM
Epsom salt is useful for raising general hardness, the crushed coral will maintain the pH around 7.8.