PDA

View Full Version : Zoanthid growth thread

kaybee
08-14-2008, 02:58 AM
Here are two zoanthid frags which I recently acquired. I plan to post progression pics of them every month until a year has passed or the polyps have completely covered the shell, which ever occurs first to document growth.

Unlike my previous coral growth pics in a separate thread which were more of 'before and after' shots, the 'after' shots for these zoanthids will be taken in 2009, so I'm starting from scratch here. I have no idea how fast or slow these particular polyps will grow during this time frame.

I will post pics again on or around 13 sep. It will be interesting to see if one zoanthid group spreads quicker than the other.

Here they are, there are 3 polyps on the right, and 8 on the left:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/y2kenny19/Saltwater/zoagrow1.jpg

ILuvMyGoldBarb
08-14-2008, 03:01 AM
What color variants are you dealing with?

kaybee
08-14-2008, 03:11 AM
The one's on the left are all-red (in person they don't have purplish(?) centers that they appear to have in the photo; the lights are distorting their colors a bit; for the next set of pix I might try turning off the actinics).

The one's on the right have white centers, blue-ish interior and red-skirts.

I have no idea what their official or 'designer' names are.

kaybee
09-27-2008, 12:21 PM
No signficant change worthy of an updated pic. The only thing new is that an additional zoanthid 'bud' has developed among the red one, but not to the point where it is capable of opening yet.