PDA

View Full Version : Can I add a fire shrimp if I decide to?

Fishguy2727
08-14-2008, 02:04 AM
It is a 29 and already has two skunk cleaners and two peppermint. Someone on reefcentral said I am basically full. Do I even have room for a fire shrimp if I wanted one? Would they be too aggressive for the peppermints if I even have room?

jman
08-14-2008, 02:06 AM
i think it's a lil too much but if you are really great at taking care of them anyone can keep them in that sized tank you just have to constantly watch over them more but i think it's a lil to much

unleashed
08-14-2008, 09:48 AM
You are fine.

You could potentially fit nearly 20 Lysmata sp. shrimps in that tank

Fishguy2727
08-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Anyone want to give a little more information? These short answers (although highly appreciated) seem to just conflict with each other. I guess I need a little more explanation and detail.

Has anyone had peppermints and fire together? Someone said the fire were one of the most aggressive and if that is the case then it seems like the peppermints would not be seen much if one was added.

By too much do you mean for the system or too many for them to tolerate each other?

unleashed
08-14-2008, 09:59 PM
Anyone want to give a little more information? These short answers (although highly appreciated) seem to just conflict with each other. I guess I need a little more explanation and detail.

Has anyone had peppermints and fire together? Someone said the fire were one of the most aggressive and if that is the case then it seems like the peppermints would not be seen much if one was added.

By too much do you mean for the system or too many for them to tolerate each other?

Lysmata sp. shrimps are community based organisms and rarely exhibit aggressive behaviour towards themselves, and other experience from my experience. When I have dived with them in the past, I have seen groups numbering well over 100 of different Lysmata sp. in a small proximity to each other.

My friend is a marine importer and he sometimes keeps 300+ cleaner and fire shrimps in the same tank and suffers no losses over the compulsory 3 week government quarantine in the 'shrimp tank'.

Too much simply means that it is too much for a system to handle. Lysmata sp. are very tolerant with each other

Fishguy2727
08-15-2008, 01:11 AM
And they are hermaphroditic so a pair is automatically a true pair, correct?

jman
08-15-2008, 01:26 AM
when you start to have large amounts they dont really bother each other from what iv'e seen but at the same time i wouldnt just want to get one i rather get like 2 at least to add but like i said this just wouldnt work unless you keep things up they are still sensative

unleashed
08-15-2008, 01:39 AM
And they are hermaphroditic so a pair is automatically a true pair, correct?

yes they are. Despite the fact that you can have large numbers, they will start to look unsightly

Fishguy2727
08-15-2008, 02:11 AM
jman:
"this just wouldnt work unless you keep things up they are still sensative"
By this do you mean water quality?

unleashed:
"Despite the fact that you can have large numbers, they will start to look unsightly"
By this do you mean that the tank just won't look right, like an swarm of shrimp had invaded like ants at a picnic?

If I added any more it would probably just be a pair of fire shrimp, and that would not be right now (low funds).

unleashed
08-15-2008, 02:19 AM
unleashed:
"Despite the fact that you can have large numbers, they will start to look unsightly"
By this do you mean that the tank just won't look right, like an swarm of shrimp had invaded like ants at a picnic?

Yes. Can you imagine a 29g tank with 30+ shrimps in it?

jman
08-15-2008, 02:55 AM
jman:
"this just wouldnt work unless you keep things up they are still sensative"
By this do you mean water quality?

unleashed:

If I added any more it would probably just be a pair of fire shrimp, and that would not be right now (low funds).

yes the quality of everything because unlike in the wild you have to keep up on everything they need so yeah water quality defenitly plays a big part