PDA

View Full Version : rainbows coloring

Lady Hobbs
08-13-2008, 03:16 PM
Big change in my rainbows coloring all of a sudden. I took them out of the 55 and from under those bright lights to a "crowded" 29 gallon under only 1 watt of light for the time being. They colored up immediately. I'm thinking the brighter lights stressed them out which probably would have been OK if the tank had been more heavily planted.

My rather washed out turquoise turned into a bright turquoise so quickly you could see the change in them from across the room. Anyone know how old turquoise need to be before reproducing? I'd like more of these.

(Reminds me of something I read about boesemani's the other day and tell me if you've heard of this.) This species tries to eat fish too big for them and the fish needs to be pulled from their mouths as both will die. Now that's a new one on me. Anyone heard of such a thing?

Sharkman
08-13-2008, 03:32 PM
when i used to have juvenile large mouth bass they would do that. eat a fish too big for them and the tail would stick out of its mouth. it eventually killed both fish.

Lady Hobbs
08-13-2008, 04:23 PM
They sure like getting knocked around in the water current. They either all get right under when the filter drops the water or all crowd into the bubblers. I hooked up my air pump the other night for something different and all 20 rainbows would get right in that fast flow, get flung across the tank and right back they'd come. They continued this for hours until they drove me nuts and I unplugged the thing. I guess they get bored, too. LOL

Jacko
08-16-2008, 05:29 AM
They usually come from the rivers and streams in New Zealand/New Guinea/Australia so they do like fast currents.

The darker the light the brighter they are, not because of stress or anything like that I think but because the darker light gives them a darker undertone and ambient room light reflects off of their scales better.
Having put in a huge sword in my 75 gallon that blots out a ton of light and more room light and ambient sunlight gets in the tank they are alot brighter. Also, when they pass through a patch of the stronger sunlight or tank light their colors seem to fade.

Lady Hobbs
08-16-2008, 05:38 AM
I thought my boesemani would never color up. Now they all are. yeaaa

jman
08-16-2008, 05:59 AM
this happened to me before with certain fish... Lady Hobbs i'm starting to wonder if the cause of this is that some fish like being in dem lights because they dont feel like all eyes are on them. it's kind hidden in a tank thats not real bright so they feel even more safe even out in the open

dean30bb
08-17-2008, 08:10 AM
ur rain bows sound really nice hobbs do u have any pics of them

sodsie
09-03-2008, 03:45 AM
Yeah my rainbow fishes colours are coming through now i have 6 of them . ill be putting up photos tonight so look in the gallery

mac
09-08-2008, 02:03 AM
Hi,
I have found that having Rainbows in a tank with brights lights, the color is different. I think the main reason is most people dont give them enough plants. They only want to give them plenty of swimming room. Which is great, but in the wild they have a lot of plants around them. Plus another thing in Papua New Guinea there is much less sun light than other places because of the rain.
Hope this is of some help,
macquatic

mac
09-08-2008, 02:06 AM
They usually come from the rivers and streams in New Zealand/New Guinea/Australia so they do like fast currents.

I think you must be mistaken. New Zealand has now Rainbow fish. Our water temperature is around 2'c and lower. We only have Rainbow Trout.

macquatic

Lady Hobbs
09-08-2008, 02:08 AM
Seems to take these guys forever to color up. But, they are slowly getting there. I've heard their color is better is not such bright tanks but you need the lights for the plants so that defeats that purpose. I think you're right that more plants would be better from them.

domjd05
10-13-2008, 11:16 AM
My wife bought 2 boesmanis and their colors came out the second we dropped them in our tank.

Lady Hobbs
10-13-2008, 02:09 PM
Mine may not like my water much. My water is very hard. But, my bosemanni are finally colored up decently. I got them from a breeder and they were really young when I got them. Coloring is much, much improved and I did hear they color up better as they age.

I want some fry from these guys and need to find out how old they are before spawning. Guess I need to do some reading!

Deftec
11-04-2008, 03:26 AM
I put some of these in my 75, and I think my emperor tetras dislike them, they aren't as colorful as before, but the turquoise rainbows are bright. One of them always has the bright white/orange on it's head.