PDA

View Full Version : My dang green pond!

smaug
08-13-2008, 07:10 AM
My pond has been so green this year.I have to do at least 50% water changes to stay ahead of it.I have not been using algafix this year like I did last but I started today.I should save my money for a uv sterilizer I suppose.Oh well,just a minor rant,not looking for any answers.

Halelorf
08-13-2008, 11:21 AM
the pond I built is green too, I feel your pain :hmm3grin2orange:. My parents thought that digging a hole and filling it with water equals a gorgeous crystal clear pond in days. Still trying to get them to be patient with it instead of wanting to bleach the water :c11:.

fins_n_fur
08-13-2008, 11:25 AM
I think Dave66 posted a response to another member that dried barley straw could be used, but it takes some time. Click here (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=26730&highlight=barley) and scroll down to his reply.

Lady Hobbs
08-13-2008, 02:20 PM
My son treats his pond with something that turns the water a lovely blue. It's full of fish and it doesn't hurt them but I don't know what it's called. Any algae removers for ponds should clear it up. My sons pond is HUGE.

jman
08-13-2008, 02:39 PM
barley straw & i use uv equiptment, look into it haven't had a problem since

smaug
08-13-2008, 03:56 PM
I use barley straw with no improvement.Ive never seen a clear koi pond unless it had a uv light on it or they used lots of algae killer.It can be avoided somewaht if the pond is in the shade most of the day.Its a good thing it doesnt actually hurt the fish.

angelcakes
08-13-2008, 03:59 PM
our pond was in a sun trap as it was the only place to put it,we got rid of the green water by the uv..................anything else we used didnt do much good

OscarFan
08-13-2008, 04:44 PM
mine used to be green but then we threw in some anacharis and its almost crystal clear now.

smaug
08-13-2008, 05:46 PM
mine used to be green but then we threw in some anacharis and its almost crystal clear now.
It wasnt the anachris that did it alone.It will help a bit by shading the water and if the surface can be covered with it the better it will do.

OscarFan
08-13-2008, 08:02 PM
I just got 5 bunches of it. and have them anchored down and my pond is right in the sun. Algae growth is caused by excess nutrients and light. The plants take the nutrients and algae dies.

smaug
08-13-2008, 10:40 PM
How big is your pond?5 bunches of anachris remove very little in the way of nutrients in a 150 gal outside pond [mine].I have used that plant in the past, it solved nothing.Its not totally without merit though,thanks for the advice.My problem lies totally with too much sunlight.BTW,in years past I have had as many as a dozen bunches of anachris with no benefit.A UV light is in my future,especially when we enlarge this puddle to 1200 gallons next year.

OscarFan
08-13-2008, 11:25 PM
300 gallons.

Edit Its probably becuase I have one fish in their

smaug
08-13-2008, 11:36 PM
Like I said it wasnt just the anachris that solved it.I have close to 100 inches of koi and comets,it will take a uv light.

EJ45
08-14-2008, 04:14 AM
I have a 125g pond with several comets that had a terrible pea soup algea bloom a while back. I put a UV sterilizer on it and its been crystal clear since the second day I had it. I was quite impressed.

Furface
11-06-2008, 12:48 AM
I tried 2 types of barley straw application and neither did a thing the entire summer for algae control. Someone told me that it takes time and warm water temperatures, but I'm doubtful. This year I installed an inline UV sterilizer right before the waterfall filter and had excellent results clearing up the green water. The filter removed the killed and clumped algae which I rinsed out once a week.

smaug
11-06-2008, 12:50 AM
I tried 2 types of barley straw application and neither did a thing the entire summer for algae control. Someone told me that it takes time and warm water temperatures, but I'm doubtful. This year I installed an inline UV sterilizer right before the waterfall filter and had excellent results clearing up the green water. The filter removed the killed and clumped algae which I rinsed out once a week.
You got it!

Fishguy2727
11-06-2008, 03:30 AM
Not that it looks good, but greenwater algae is actually very beneficial for the fish. So at least it is just an eyesore and not an actual health problem for them, actually beneficial.

smaug
11-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Not that it looks good, but greenwater algae is actually very beneficial for the fish. So at least it is just an eyesore and not an actual health problem for them, actually beneficial.
Its not a problem till something causes a die off and it wipes out the o2 in the water and kills everything.Im actually curious on this point [not picking a fight] how is it beneficial?

Fishguy2727
11-09-2008, 04:35 PM
It removes CO2, nitrate, phosphate, and adds oxygen. Goldfish feed on it as well and it is acknowledged as a very beneficial aspect of growing goldfish.

To prevent any low oxygen problems and anything like that an air stone is all that is needed.