PDA

View Full Version : urchin ID

cocoa_pleco
08-13-2008, 03:42 AM
im trying to help a guy ID this urchin, ive got no idea myself, ive never seen it before. any ideas?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cephalopodcast/1681728480/

jman
08-13-2008, 03:46 AM
uh normally they just call urchins name by the color so i'm guessing this is a red sea urchin. Do you want it or did you just become curious?

cocoa_pleco
08-13-2008, 03:47 AM
uh normally they just call urchins name by the color so i'm guessing this is a red sea urchin. Do you want it or did you just become curious?

he found it on the gulf coast of Florida and is just curious.

jman
08-13-2008, 03:48 AM
did you know see urchin's are used in sushi ingredients. Learned this trying to find out the name of this urchin

jman
08-13-2008, 03:49 AM
it's cool there are a large variety of species in the sea unknown to man so maybe this is one seen before just not named

ILuvMyGoldBarb
08-13-2008, 04:02 AM
It looks similar to the Rock Urchin - Echinometra lacunter, but the problem there is that the body and spines are uniformly colored, this one has red spines but a blue body. Rules that one out. There are another 2 species of Echinometra in the hobby but one of them is an Indo-Pacific species and is virtually identical. What ever it is it certainly isn't a popular one in the hobby.

cocoa_pleco
08-13-2008, 04:23 AM
It looks similar to the Rock Urchin - Echinometra lacunter, but the problem there is that the body and spines are uniformly colored, this one has red spines but a blue body. Rules that one out. There are another 2 species of Echinometra in the hobby but one of them is an Indo-Pacific species and is virtually identical. What ever it is it certainly isn't a popular one in the hobby.

thanks! i'll tell him that