PDA

View Full Version : Fire shrimp compatibility

Fishguy2727
08-13-2008, 12:22 AM
Anyone ever had any issues with their fire shrimp bothering anything?

cocoa_pleco
08-13-2008, 01:47 AM
nope, had one in my old 20g nano, left everything alone

jman
08-13-2008, 01:49 AM
na are they bothering something of yours or are you looking to place it with something your not sure about?

unleashed
08-13-2008, 02:21 AM
Never bothered anything. Just never saw them except feeding time. Always hiding...

jman
08-13-2008, 03:08 AM
some shrimp are just like that even though my banded stays in a cave 24/7 if something or even me comes near its eager. it's just it's comfortability

unleashed
08-13-2008, 03:27 AM
some shrimp are just like that even though my banded stays in a cave 24/7 if something or even me comes near its eager. it's just it's comfortability
You will generally find that fire shrimps hide a lot more than cleaner shrimps. they are naturally reclusive animals caught in caves. However, fire shrimps will come out at feeding time and at night.

I have kept probably about 15-20 since I started in this hobby and all had the same behaviour......

jman
08-13-2008, 03:31 AM
i understand... but iv'e known folks to keep some and then this same situation happens some even started with some that were active when purchased but then began to become "kept to themselves" i wouldnt be able to explain the reason for this though, when i read into it-it seems as though something is wrong with the shrimp ecspecially compared to others behaviour

spudbuds
08-13-2008, 04:48 AM
I'm interested in knowing about fire shrimp as well. I've hesitated on getting any because of their potential to eat zoanthids, etc. Doesn't sound like anyone has had that problem though.

cocoa_pleco
08-13-2008, 04:49 AM
i had zoas, they got left alone

jman
08-13-2008, 04:51 AM
I'm interested in knowing about fire shrimp as well. I've hesitated on getting any because of their potential to eat zoanthids, etc. Doesn't sound like anyone has had that problem though.

From drs. foster and smith: "The Blood Red Fire Shrimp, also known as Blood Shrimp, Fire Shrimp, or Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp, is one of the most popular shrimp in the aquarium hobby. It has a blood-red body with white spots and long white antennae. Depending on which region of the Indo-Pacific from which it originates, it may have the white dots just on its carapace, or covering its entire body.

The Blood Red Fire Shrimp prefers a habitat providing it with a cave or overhang where the lighting is not too intense. While it will tolerate its mate, others of its own kind will be chased away or harassed. It is generally peaceful with most other organisms in the reef system unless they impinge on its territory. As a "cleaner shrimp," it will set up cleaning stations and remove dead tissue and parasites from fish that present themselves. It will also scavenge for meaty bits along the substrate bottom. Often, only its antennae will be visible. It will not tolerate copper or high levels of nitrates in the aquarium, but will require correct levels of iodine in the water to promote proper molting. The diet of the Blood Red Fire Shrimp should include freeze-dried, live or frozen foods, and flaked foods."