PDA

View Full Version : Another Betta in Trouble

ladyoutlaw50
08-12-2008, 08:56 PM
The bf's 2nd Betta Louise is now not acting right. They were NOT kept in the same tank -- Louise has her own tank, all water parm. are fine -- just the other day he noticed that she is pretty much hanging arounf the bottom on the tank. She doesn't seem thrilled about food or anything -- I wondered about PMS -- but not sure betta's go thru that:hmm3grin2orange:
My bf is beginning to panic as this was how Thelma acted before she died. I took a couple of pictures of her today -- maybe you can see something I can't!!
any suggestions would be awesome - -he will be defistated if he looses another betta!!
thanks

invadertoast
08-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Has that white spot always been there? It looks almost like a fungus that a female I had died from...

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=22043&highlight=fungus

Hope this helps!

ladyoutlaw50
08-12-2008, 09:51 PM
should he run to the store and get that jungal fungus stuff?? I don't want her to suffer and he doesn't either!! What do you suggest??

invadertoast
08-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Keep in mind I'm not 100% sure that's what is wrong with her, but from the pictures it looks a lot like what my girl had. I would try the Jungle stuff as it was reccommended to me, I think I just caught the infection too late. When I brought her home she looked fine, but it escalated very, very quickly.

Keep us posted!

ladyoutlaw50
08-12-2008, 10:45 PM
he just noticed it this morning!! Hopefully we caught it in time -- when I went to look at your other post and saw the picture -- looks exactly like what she has!!!
Will let you know
thanks for the help:19:

Tolley
08-12-2008, 10:48 PM
If it is definitly fungus i recommened Melafix if you can find it. I recently treated a lampeye with really bad fungus after an accident and has completely cleared.

GouramiGal
08-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Kim- how is the betta doing today?

Last time I was in lfs I picked up a med called bettafix. Same manufacturer as pima and melafix. Don't know if it is any good though.... :11:

themuffinbandit
08-13-2008, 03:39 PM
wait are u guys sure its fungus and not velvet? b/c i remember that you can tell that its velvet if the betta is covered in what looks like a gold/rust colored powder or mist when you shine a flash light on it or in this case, the flash which it looks like in the pics.

invadertoast
08-13-2008, 04:05 PM
After looking at some velvet pictures, I don't think it's what she's dealing with. I took the gold coloring in her pictures as the betta's natural coloration, but I could be wrong. It's hard to tell things from pictures, but I'm going by the white bump near her tail, which looks excatly like what my girl had.

Lady Outlaw - Does she look more like this in person?
http://www.petfish.net/articles/Bettas/velvet_betta.php

ladyoutlaw50
08-13-2008, 06:07 PM
No she doesn't look like that in real life!!! I think she has that fungus -- it looks just like what your other looked like. She is being treated and today she seems to be moving around a little bit more!! gonna keep watching her!!

thanks for all the help and will keep you updated

cathy_n
08-13-2008, 11:11 PM
If you're not using aquarium salt and your tank can handle it (no plants/snails/sensitive fish to be bothered), you could add that as part of the treatment. I've used up to 1 teaspoon per gallon when my betta had Ich.

Some folks will give their betta a brief dunk in the saltier water and then put them back in their tank. That might be something for you to research, since it seems to have some pros and cons (the biggest con being stress when your fish is already sick).

Good luck to you!

ladyoutlaw50
08-13-2008, 11:39 PM
The other betta passed just a few minutes ago!!

GouramiGal
08-14-2008, 01:12 PM
Oh my gosh! Kim! I'm so sorry to hear that. Sending you hugs from NYC.