PDA

View Full Version : Bala with mouth fungus

Lady Hobbs
12-26-2006, 05:57 PM
Noticed several days ago my bala shark had mouth fungus. I have been treating him for a week now with Jungle Labs fungal meds, Metafix and salt. I can not seen to get this stuff to clear up.

I read that bala's can to prone to fungal problems and treated him for this before but it went away in 2 days. It is much better but still some remain. Have you any good idea's as to what else I can do? I have even doubled up on the meds!

He is soooo stressed out in this 10 gallon tank and the other is stressed out without him in the large tank.

cocoa_pleco
01-03-2007, 09:32 PM
aquarium salt.

blue fin
01-03-2007, 11:05 PM
Maybe you could tell me if it looks kinda like this
I just noticed this today and he's not eating, Salt alone isn't enough to treat this is it?

Cichlid_Man
01-04-2007, 12:44 AM
Hobbs,
I had one case of mouth fungus on a fish and I cured it with salt at the rate of one teaspoon per gallon, and an anti-fungal medicine from American Pharmaceuticals called E.M Tablets. It is actually Erythromycin.
I find their meds are the best.

blue fin
01-04-2007, 02:45 AM
I went and bough a "sick" tank and moved my fish over, used water out of his tank and medicated the small tank. It could cost a fortune to medicate that 75 gallon tank.

Lady Hobbs
01-05-2007, 07:51 AM
It is always wise to have a hospital tank just for this reason. I had my bala kinda cured but then could see he had ripped the whole bottom of his face off! Must have run into the glass or hide the decorations or driftwood.

Cichlid_Man
01-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Yes, a hospital tank is a good thing but I don't have any more room :-)

Fungus is a tricky thing anyway.
tough to cure, even in people, and usually, if you separate a fish with a fungus and cure him, that's not saying there isn't still a carrier in the tank. I like to medicate all when it comes to a fungus, but that's just me.

kimmers318
01-05-2007, 12:18 PM
You could try some pimafix along with the melafix.....pimafix is antifungul whereas melafix is antibacterial. They can be used together, supposedly without harming biological filter, although I have seen some effects on my bio filter when having to use meds too much even though they claim not to. You could also try dosing with extra stresscoat....it may just make him feel better which would help his natural defenses fight it off.
Good luck

blue fin
01-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Great Idea Kimmers.. I think I will give him a shot of stress coat, as it is I have him on both treatments and I am doing water changes using good water out of the big tank instead of leaving the filter in ( it has charcoal as part of the filter ), thumbs2: