PDA

View Full Version : Brichardi Fry

Drip Loop
08-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Yea, my two brichardi are apparently male/female. I noticed for weeks that they cleared out an area of the tank in the corner under a rock. I assumed they were just nesting but when I woke up this morning there was a cloud of fry. I have no specific intentions on removing them since I hear that brichardis can take over an aquarium rather quickly. Anyone familiar with these fish enough to tell me what to expect now? Thanks

Dixie
08-13-2008, 03:10 AM
Wooo Hooo congrats on the new fry. I had 2 little brichardi too and thought they were becoming a "couple" then I had an accident with my heater overheating and it killed one of them.

I didn't get to experience fry first hand but have read a good bit about them. The 2 adults will take care of their fry (they won't eat them). When the fry grow up and have fry of their own, the "grandparents" will help take care of those fry. When those fry grow up and have fry of their own, the "aunts, uncles, and grandparents" will help take care of them. This will continue until the tank is so crowded that they will eventually kill off some offspring to make room for more.

What size tank do you have them in? (a 29g. is a good size for a brichardi only tank)
Are there any other species in with them?
If there are other species with them, you might want to remove the other species because brichardi are VERY protective of their young. If it's a very big tank (55g. or bigger) it might not be necessary but the brichardi will claim their territory and from what I understand, it's a pretty large territory.

Drip Loop
08-13-2008, 03:43 AM
Its a 125g aquarium. Whats strange is that the brichardi have nested alongside my julies in a specific rockpile to one end of the tank. They are totally tolerant of eachother only and the two species almost work together to fend off any other fish. There are currently brichardi fry and julie fry (I have seen both) literally 4 inches away from eachother. Anyways, just thought I would share. Interesting behaviors

toddnbecka
08-13-2008, 04:57 AM
I've never heard of cooperation with Julies (or any other species), but as the first batch of fry grow they'll help guard the second spawn, etc. As their numbers grow, so will the territory they claim. It should be quite interesting to see how long the tolerance of the Julies lasts.

dean30bb
08-13-2008, 07:20 AM
kool thats awsome would love to see pics if u can get them

Drip Loop
08-13-2008, 11:27 AM
I can give it a try but my camera most likely wont be able to pickup the fry at this point since they are white on a white sand substrate. I guess I have to decide what to do with the fry once they reach an age where they are self sustaining. That is ofcourse assuming they all live. I dont intend to purchase fry food for obvious reasons. I dont want a 125g brichardi dominated tank.

dean30bb
08-17-2008, 08:42 AM
kool thats ok

dustinpedley
08-24-2008, 08:35 PM
if you find a good LFS that will take em they'll give you store credit for em. for brichardi's you might get $2.50-$3 each, but they'll need to be about 1"

Melges
06-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Yesterday after completing a water change Brichardi fry unexpectedly hatched! Sadly I was not there during the event as I had no plan on having fry. I think that I may have accidentally siphoned some of the eggs or even young fry  as I only have 36 or so fry. I need help fast and am currently reading up on razing young! Any suggestions, tips or help would be great? Thahttp://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/images/smilies/17.gifnks for reading

Johnbear
08-04-2009, 05:33 AM
As their numbers grow, so will the territory they claim. It should be quite interesting to see how long the tolerance of the Julies lasts.

-

Jinkusu
08-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Congrats!
Its very interesting to hear about the behaviour with the julies! Keep an eye out, im sure your aware that cichlids can changes their minds with the flip of a coin. lol Defo good luck with them though!!
Ive just aquired my first Brichardi! :)