PDA

View Full Version : i want to purchase betta fish in bulk

Tamica23
08-12-2008, 12:44 AM
I'm getting married in May 2009 and for our centerpices we'd like to have a betta fish on each table with a little vase/bowl set up. Does anyone know where I can purchase betta fish in bulk? rather than buying from a local petstore?

Ryuu
08-12-2008, 12:51 AM
Well Tamica, I would like you to know that fish are not furniture, or enviroment enhancing objects. They are alive animals, that hurt and feel feelings. If you were to put them in a vase or jar, it would be like you living in a freezing closet. So I suggest you read up on bettas, and do the neccisary requirements for them. I shall try to help you though

Betta fish are labrynth fish which means they can breath from the surfaces air. This makes Airstones obsolete in there setup. Betta fish like at least 2.5 gallons to swim in, with a filter, and a heater set a 78 degrees or higher. They also like plants and places to hide. I suggest that you get a 5 gallon, find a hood with a light, buy some dark colored gravel and fake plants, and a filter and heater. They make great easy to care for pets, with annual water changes, and proper care they can become one of the family.

I know you are using them for your wedding, but still, what is going to happen to them after your wedding is over? Do you want 55 some betta fish? If you give them away, will they be properly taken care of?

ladyoutlaw50
08-12-2008, 01:06 AM
If I remember correctly awhile back we had someone else asking about doing this!!
I strongly recommend doing something else as these poor fish will suffer!!
Once people begin to drink and so forth -- these fish will be used for laughs and will not be treated nicely.
I am sure there are many other ideas out there that would work for your wedding instead of using bettas.

Jacko
08-12-2008, 01:43 AM
I could see the possibility if you were to buy enough minbow or eclipse tanks with filters and heaters to go on each table. Even a BiUbe would make a nice centerpeice display for a table and a single betta would make a nice look in there. Plus those things are the pitz to open, couldn't figure it out on the store models so I gave up. :P

In my view, giving out bettas at a wedding is the same as handing out puppies or kittens. You could put them in a cage all fancied up on the center of the table but that doesn't sound ethically right does it? Neither is doing the same with a betta.

There is a myth that they come fromrice paddies in thailand, teensy little things that make it okay to put in small containers. This in no way is true, rice paddies are huge fields of water, ranging from 6" to 2' deep and more.
Here's what their home looks like:
http://www.cultureshocktherapy.com/pic/id/rice_paddy.jpg

I'd recomend you read this entire page, it is very informative:
http://www.petstoreabuse.com/betta.html

thejaegermonster
08-12-2008, 02:03 AM
I don't think there'd be a problem if they put them in the vases just for their wedding day and then perhaps donated them to a LFS they had already contacted about it. My perception is that they were to be ornamental and not to be distributed as pets, so long-term care isn't a consideration, so long as they find some place that could care for them or even sell them. I don't think that keeping them in a vases (if well watched and cared for) would be any worse than keeping them in the cups I've seen them in at the store.

ladyoutlaw50
08-12-2008, 02:06 AM
I think the big problem is how they would be treated at the reception!! Unless it is an alcohol free reception -- once people begin to drink-- things will be put in with the fish -- vases will be spilled and broken and who knows what else can happen!! My opinion is not to risk it!!! Good Intentions are there, but you can't watch all the vases all the time and to me not worth the risk!!

Jacko
08-12-2008, 02:22 AM
Not to mention children, if there are kids and the fish aren't theirs they really don't seem to have an issue with feeding the fish their own food or adding things to the tank.

I don't see the need to risk bettas (one of my all time favorite fish) when there isn't a need. The reason I thought she would distribute them afterwards was that I've never heard of that not happening, they become both ornaments and gifts in all the cases I have heard of. My sister-in-law had this same thing planned for her wedding but I convinced her against it and she settled with flower bouquets on each table and decorative candles. Alot cheaper that way is what she told me compared to the price of all the bowls, glass marbles, fake lilies and bettas would have cost.

thejaegermonster
08-12-2008, 02:58 AM
You all make valid points. It would probably just be more trouble than it's worth.

Abbeys_Mom
08-12-2008, 03:13 AM
Get floating flowers. Just as pretty and no fish suffer.

labnjab
08-12-2008, 03:21 AM
My cousin did that for her wedding. I took one betta (who sadly died a few months later in a heater malfunction) but i don't think anyone else wanted the others, they just wanted the vases. I don't know what happened to the fish. i wouldn't recommend it. Everyone was harassing them and putting stuff in the vases.

Nick_Pavlovski
08-14-2008, 02:53 AM
Hello Tamica23 and everyone,
here's the thread from a few weeks back when someone else asked the same question.
Note all the brilliant alternate ideas offered...

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=25902&highlight=betta+wedding

Tamica23
04-24-2009, 06:40 PM
Well Tamica, I would like you to know that fish are not furniture, or enviroment enhancing objects. They are alive animals, that hurt and feel feelings. If you were to put them in a vase or jar, it would be like you living in a freezing closet. So I suggest you read up on bettas, and do the neccisary requirements for them. I shall try to help you though

Betta fish are labrynth fish which means they can breath from the surfaces air. This makes Airstones obsolete in there setup. Betta fish like at least 2.5 gallons to swim in, with a filter, and a heater set a 78 degrees or higher. They also like plants and places to hide. I suggest that you get a 5 gallon, find a hood with a light, buy some dark colored gravel and fake plants, and a filter and heater. They make great easy to care for pets, with annual water changes, and proper care they can become one of the family.

I know you are using them for your wedding, but still, what is going to happen to them after your wedding is over? Do you want 55 some betta fish? If you give them away, will they be properly taken care of?

WOW! I did not know that I would be attacked on here! Guess I should post elsewhere! I'm not sure what kind of people you are or who you hang around with.......but there will be NO ONE stupid enough to think it's funny to put their food in the fish BOWL/AQUARIUM not a vase, and I'm only purchasing 9 fish at most not 55!! I hardly think the POOR fish will suffer sitting in a 5 gallon aquarium in the middle of a table for a few hours. The aquariums have a pretty tight lid on them with a hood/heater room for them to swim and hide among plants. so how about all of you take a chill pill and relax. We've asked ahead of time who would like to take one home and we found 9 people who all would LOVE to and so they will not just be left to die or forgotten about after the wedding. I've owned betta fish before and have had them for 2 or 3 years before they died, not just months. Maybe when you all get drunk you like to mess with fish and think it's funny to put your food in the tank but I DO NOT, nor do any of my family/friends. I'm so glad you all are so friendly and welcoming on here (and for those of you who cant tell, I'm being sarcastic when I say that) So THANK U ALL FOR NOTHING and just assuming that I'm some idiot when it comes to fish and want to harm them.

chel
04-24-2009, 08:25 PM
Hmmm...well, I won't wade into the middle of all this :14:

... but just wanted to say that I was interested in the title of your thread because when I was at the fish store yesterday my 7 year old caught sight of all the bettas in their teeny cups and told me we should buy them all to give them a better home. When I told her they would just do the same thing to the next ones she looked sad for a minute and then told me, "well, we'll just have to buy them, too." Seems like we have a budding fishkeeper. thumbs2:

Good luck with your wedding ... and it sounds like you've done good preparation to make sure the bettas will be well taken care of.

AnthonyTCaps
04-24-2009, 09:59 PM
If you didn't want to get attacked you should have maybe mentioned that you have proper housing and what not. People aren't attacking you its just there have been a thousand people on here that had no idea of the requirements of betas.

So good luck with your wedding

Wiggs
04-24-2009, 10:10 PM
The fact that the information you provided was not in your first post is the reason people became concerned. Noone really "attacked" you, The only person doing the attacking here is you. Read back through the thread and put yourself in our shoes. ANYONE on ANY forum with a deep interest and care of fish would have responded the same way. Sorry you took it personally but I don't believe that is how ANYONE here meant it.

P.S. Just a observation I made in your first post.

we'd like to have a betta fish on each table with a little vase/bowl set up.

By "Vase/bowl set-up" were we supposed to assume you meant "5 gallon aquarium in the middle of a table with a pretty tight lid on them with a hood/heater room for them to swim and hide among plants"?

Kaz
04-24-2009, 10:30 PM
Uhhh... oops.

Clarification is the key here and is pretty much the first mistake everyone makes when posting.

I kinda think that the whole thing about being drunk is that it impairs your judgement, I hardly see how showing concern is attacking,BTW.

One more thing, I don't believe buying 9 fish is exactly buying in bulk, so don't be too suprised people made asumptions.

However, this is likely an exercise in futility as your probably not going to check back.

fishlover49
04-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Also, it is probably not a good idea to put 9 Bettas in the same tank.... :scry:

fins_n_fur
04-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Tamica23 - Please see the pm that I have sent you.

This thread is now closed.