PDA

View Full Version : Pleco trouble

chester82006
08-11-2008, 07:39 PM
I have a 2-3 inch common pleco in my 75 gallon. I added him in when I thought there would be enough food around the tank, and because I think they look nice. Later as I read on here that they get HUGE, I felt that I should have gotten a BN. Well, that's besides the point :\

Last night he was being active, but later on I checked on the fish, and saw him floating upside down on the surface of the tank in one spot not moving at all for a while. I thought he was dead, and gave him a little poke, then he started to suck on the glass again.

Today, I just found him halfway sucked into the filter -.- I thought he was dead again, so I lowered it...then he started to wiggle but still couldn't get out. I used a net to lightly push him away and he swam free. He just looks very lethargic, and I'm not sure what's wrong. His moods go up and down :[

OscarFan
08-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Is the tank cycled. And what are your water parameters.

chester82006
08-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Ammonia-.50 I believe because I did a water change yesterday and its always back to 0 after a couple days
pH-7.2
Nitrite-0 ppm
Nitrate-in between 5 and 10 ppm
High range pH-7.4

The tank has been up for a few months, and a couple weeks ago there weren't any Nitrates...it's all out of whack :[

duce
08-11-2008, 08:17 PM
is there enough air in water?what do u feed him?

OscarFan
08-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Your nitrates are out of whack it takes a heavily planted tank to get them below 10.You could also have low 02 in the tank try adding an air pump or filter.

angelcakes
08-11-2008, 10:39 PM
whats his diet.......is his belly sunk in or out like bloated, try the air stone/pump

chester82006
08-12-2008, 02:35 AM
is there enough air in water?what do u feed him?

I try hard to feed him these bottom feeder shrimp pellets but every time I try to drop them in the other fish gets to them as soon as they hit the water...I don't know how to solve this problem :\ Also, I believe there is good aeration, my filter is quite strong.

chester82006
08-12-2008, 02:36 AM
whats his diet.......is his belly sunk in or out like bloated, try the air stone/pump

His belly is just straight, it doesn't look like either.

doug z
08-12-2008, 02:39 AM
Your feeding him shrimp pellets?

How about algae wafers? Veggies?

If you want to make sure he/she gets it, put it physically inside their cave.

OscarFan
08-12-2008, 02:40 AM
what method did you use to cycle it?

chester82006
08-12-2008, 02:47 AM
Your feeding him shrimp pellets?

How about algae wafers? Veggies?

If you want to make sure he/she gets it, put it physically inside their cave.

The shrimp pellets are specifically for plecos and clown loaches... so they do contain algae and a balanced diet for those types of fish. He doesn't have his own cave or anything like that, would cucumbers be good? He's still small though.

what method did you use to cycle it?

Set the tank up, and had the filter going for a few weeks. I'm not sure if that's a method you might be talking about, or are there other specific ways?

OscarFan
08-12-2008, 02:56 AM
That will do very little towards the cycle of your tank. How long have u had fish in their?? And he would love a cucumber.

doug z
08-12-2008, 02:58 AM
Hmm.. He'd REALLY appreciate a cave of his very own.

Set the tank up, and had the filter going for a few weeks

So you were adding ammonia while doing this?

chester82006
08-12-2008, 03:08 AM
That will do very little towards the cycle of your tank. How long have u had fish in their?? And he would love a cucumber.

I cycled the tank for about a month, and the fish have been in there for 2.

Hmm.. He'd REALLY appreciate a cave of his very own.

So you were adding ammonia while doing this?

The cave in there already doesn't have any occupants until sleeping time, he loves to chill out on top of it all day, but I never see him inside it. I added ammonia and tested the waters often while cycling. Saw the parameters go from all their heights down to zero where the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are supposed to be over the course of the weeks.

themuffinbandit
08-12-2008, 04:35 PM
as for feeding him, why not feed him at night when all the lights are off and the other fish are asleep since plecos and corys are nocturnal. thats what i do. it seems to work out. haha. its in the same tank with some neons and a betta. and the betta is like the dominant pig of the tank so i have to feed the pleco at night so that he can eat. and i usually drop the wafer where he hangs out. hope this helps

chester82006
08-13-2008, 12:07 AM
That never crossed my mind, a very good strategy. Thanks so much!

chester82006
08-13-2008, 05:51 PM
He died last night, poor guy... he wasn't doing that well since I brought him home. Thought he'd get better :'[

angelcakes
08-13-2008, 05:52 PM
sorry for your loss :ssad:

doug z
08-13-2008, 07:12 PM
Man.. That sucks.. :scry: