PDA

View Full Version : Help!

squirt_12
08-11-2008, 03:40 PM
As some of you know I was going to remove one of my hairy mushrooms and move it as it wasn't opening and looked like it wasn't doing so great because another one was over top of it. So I went in and cut it out and removed it from the tank. When I did it smelt horrible, the others were fine and the water smelted fine. I then looked and it was releasing some goo like stuff and I didn't know if I should stiff introduce it back into the tank or if I should just dispose of it. What is that goo and what should I do??

Thanks!

TowBoater
08-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Is it like white stringy stuff? Also, if you can, avoid cutting and use a flat head screwdriver and chip it off the rock so that it's foot can avoid damage.

squirt_12
08-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Is it like white stringy stuff? Also, if you can, avoid cutting and use a flat head screwdriver and chip it off the rock so that it's foot can avoid damage.
Yeah it was and it was like goooy like slime. I ended up just throwing it away cause it smelt really bad and it looked horrible. It wasn't looking so hot when I took it out of the tank so yeah..thanks for the advice on how to do it next time.

cocoa_pleco
08-11-2008, 05:12 PM
a little bit of slime is normal, you should cut in a seperate container to avoid the goo getting in the main tank

TowBoater
08-12-2008, 01:18 AM
The goo is part of it's digestive tract. It is what breaks down the food it takes in. It would have probably made it if you had kept it, my warty mushroom does it when I pick it up and looks horrible for several hours but perks back up and does fine.

squirt_12
08-12-2008, 01:21 AM
The goo is part of it's digestive tract. It is what breaks down the food it takes in. It would have probably made it if you had kept it, my warty mushroom does it when I pick it up and looks horrible for several hours but perks back up and does fine.
Well I probably would have kept it but it had been looking really bad for like a week and I think it had died because when I took it out it smelt really bad. You have no idea how bad it smelt. With it smelling that bad I wasn't going to introduce it back into the tank.

TowBoater
08-12-2008, 01:40 AM
When shroom die they dissolve back into the water.:hmm3grin2orange:

kaybee
08-12-2008, 02:18 AM
It's hard to say if the 'goo' were its mesenterial filaments or not (they typically look like tiny white coils or strings). It could have been mucus slime or tissue disintegration. But if it smelled horrid, it was likely too far gone to make any sort of comeback. At that point it's better to get it out the tank, as you have done, than risk it fouling your water quality.

squirt_12
08-12-2008, 01:21 PM
It's hard to say if the 'goo' were its mesenterial filaments or not (they typically look like tiny white coils or strings). It could have been mucus slime or tissue disintegration. But if it smelled horrid, it was likely too far gone to make any sort of comeback. At that point it's better to get it out the tank, as you have done, than risk it fouling your water quality.
There were little tiny white coils coming out of it as well.