PDA

View Full Version : Possible Fish Illness

Mogymog
12-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Ok, this morning, my betta started acting weird. He was fine, the I took out the filter line to clean it and when I put it back in and turned it on, he was unable to swim away and his long tendril fins kept getting sucked in and stuck and he'd go frantic trying to escape so I turned it off and he's still in the same area swimming slowing. Not sure wqhats wrong with him, but I tried looking online to see if I could find anything and from what I've found it sounds like Bloating/Consitaption, but would those cause an inability to swim away from a filter hose?

The symptoms are like, he has a bit of a bloated belly, some really light yellow coloring on the webing between his fins, he's been swimming a bit eradictly, like head facing the bottom, and not leaving the one spot.

I have no clue what it really is, I tried to see if it was Ick or another common one but he has no white spots or nothing.. Could it just be bloating/constipation and go with the treatment of not feeding for a few days or what should I do?

He gets Betta Flake food, Spirunla, and Blood worms through out the week so it's not the same diet or same thing over and over

Betta-Ming
01-10-2007, 07:45 PM
:bfish: He may have SWIM BLADDER DISORDER. You can check out Bettatalk.com under Betta Health ->Betta Diseases. If that is the case, you probably need to feed him a lot less than usual. I hope this help. :goldfish: :goldfish:

cocoa_pleco
01-10-2007, 07:52 PM
swim bladder is serious. Do not feed the betta for a week ( they can go about a month without food before death), and let him get everything out of his system. :4:

Glasstapper
01-10-2007, 10:26 PM
The yellow on the webbing on his fins.... does it look like fuzz or more just like a discoloration? If it's fuzzy, it could be a fungus.

Usually constipation won't cause him to act any differently. He'll just have a fat belly and behave the same. Too much protein in his diet can cause constipation (like the bloodworms). I give mine bloodworms only once a week.

Good luck with your betta.

Drumachine09
01-11-2007, 01:07 AM
If he is constipated, give hime something high in fiber, like crushed green peas, or little peices of brocolii softend in the micro wave.