PDA

View Full Version : MTS Infestation Solution

Treerat
08-10-2008, 05:29 PM
Hi all. Well in my time away from here, my small 20g BW tank gotten infested with about a billion MTS's and was driving me nuts trying to get rid of them. Since they breed like bunnies in BW it was a was losing the numbers game hands down. I didnt want to go the chemical route so i trouble shot a few idea and came up with one that was most practical (for me) in a small tank.

I took all the crab and ghost shrimp out, making sure no offending snails made it out, too. Then drained all but 2 or 3 gallons out of the tank while leaving all the rocks and driftwood in there. There are no plants in the crab tank complicate the matter with sterilizing them after the fact. Then i poured about 10 gallons of boiling water into the tank.

Only the most bizzar of the bizzar critters can survive boiling water and I'm certain than MTS don't come from the bottom of some Pacific Ocean abyss, I knew the hot water would kill them off and any eggs in substrate. It worked like a charm. After letting them stew for about 30 minutes with the filter on to kill off any MTS that dwelled there, too, I drained all but 2 gallons back out and replaced it with clean, cool, BW to cycle with a new filter. When the water tempature stablized at 78-80, I put the crabs and shimp back in their MTS-free tank.

Red
08-10-2008, 05:55 PM
MTS soup :)

bluekrissyspikes
08-10-2008, 06:41 PM
you could have sold them. people are always looking for mts snails.

Treerat
08-10-2008, 06:52 PM
you could have sold them. people are always looking for mts snails.
Not around here. They infest 3 of the 4 LFS's I go to.

Sounguru
08-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Not around here. They infest 3 of the 4 LFS's I go to.

And to think I breed MTS on purpose....:hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs
08-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Dumping boiling water into a glass tank is not wise. You're lucky you didn't crack it. I went thru a snail explosion like you did. I removed everything from the tank and dumped in some bleach. Those babies dropped like flies.

I had to go thru another cycle, obviously, but it worked. But, every other tank that had plants have the snails as well and I've just learned to not look at them! LOL I still pop the big fat ones and keep cleaning the glass free of eggs but it's hopeless.

Sounguru
08-11-2008, 04:12 PM
I think I may ned to start a snail sanctuary...

fins_n_fur
08-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Dumping boiling water into a glass tank is not wise. You're lucky you didn't crack it. I went thru a snail explosion like you did. I removed everything from the tank and dumped in some bleach. Those babies dropped like flies.

I had to go thru another cycle, obviously, but it worked. But, every other tank that had plants have the snails as well and I've just learned to not look at them! LOL I still pop the big fat ones and keep cleaning the glass free of eggs but it's hopeless.

If you have room, get a couple of keyholes! They love snails!

Treerat
08-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Well, I added the water slowly and removed it just as slow then gradually replaced the clean water into the tank. I was conscious of the glass and watched it like a hawk. I even turned off the air conditioner. I thought about the chemical route but I felt like i might not get it all out, plus, I wanted to clean the sand too. Lord only knew what was in the white sand.

mxman311
08-11-2008, 11:25 PM
Hi all. Well in my time away from here, my small 20g BW tank gotten infested with about a billion MTS's and was driving me nuts trying to get rid of them. Since they breed like bunnies in BW it was a was losing the numbers game hands down. I didnt want to go the chemical route so i trouble shot a few idea and came up with one that was most practical (for me) in a small tank.

I took all the crab and ghost shrimp out, making sure no offending snails made it out, too. Then drained all but 2 or 3 gallons out of the tank while leaving all the rocks and driftwood in there. There are no plants in the crab tank complicate the matter with sterilizing them after the fact. Then i poured about 10 gallons of boiling water into the tank.

Only the most bizzar of the bizzar critters can survive boiling water and I'm certain than MTS don't come from the bottom of some Pacific Ocean abyss, I knew the hot water would kill them off and any eggs in substrate. It worked like a charm. After letting them stew for about 30 minutes with the filter on to kill off any MTS that dwelled there, too, I drained all but 2 gallons back out and replaced it with clean, cool, BW to cycle with a new filter. When the water tempature stablized at 78-80, I put the crabs and shimp back in their MTS-free tank.

Get a Green Spotted Puffer Fish from Wallmart. Those fish freakin love snails. When I go to the LFS I actually ask the snails and throw them in my 110 gallon. They dont last more than a hour.

Gemstone
08-12-2008, 04:52 AM
errrrrrrrrr.....(scratches the blond head).....WHAT....does MTS stand for??...something ..something...snail....

Sounguru
08-12-2008, 04:57 AM
Malyasian Trumpet Snail.....................

Man Gemstone I think you need to loosen that hallo it is cutting of the circulation....

smaug
08-12-2008, 08:27 PM

see what happens when you get out of my sight!Serves you right:c11:

Treerat
08-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Get a Green Spotted Puffer Fish from Wallmart. Those fish freakin love snails. When I go to the LFS I actually ask the snails and throw them in my 110 gallon. They dont last more than a hour.

I would have done that but I wanted them gone NOW!!! lol. Plus, my crabs live in there and I doubt they would like a one of my two puffers visiting.

Treerat
08-16-2008, 04:35 PM
see what happens when you get out of my sight!Serves you right:c11:

Hey, it was fun.