PDA

View Full Version : betta hiding behind heater??

duce
08-10-2008, 12:49 PM
my new betta (fighter) is hiding behind the heater an i dont know why sure he will get burned!! the temp was 28.4 so i raised it to 28.8 coz i thought he may be cold but hes still hiding !is it that there is not a good enough hiding place?or what?

invadertoast
08-10-2008, 01:07 PM
Does he have anyplace else to hide? One of my males is very shy and will jam himself on top of the submersible filter if there's nowhere to hide behind.

bettasandbeads
08-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Bettas like to find a hiding place where thay can watch their world go by.
If you don't like him hiding under the heater, try a short PVC pipe or a coupling. I have couplings in all my Betta tanks. They really like them because they can hide but still have their head out to watch everything. Go to your local hardware store and get one or two that are about 2-2 1/2" long and about 1 1/4 or so in diamater. It should be about 49cents (or at least that is what I pay in Canada)
Place the hiding place some where that he can see well but still feel he is safe. Maybe close to the heater since he seems to like that.
If he was cold ,he would be staying near the bottom of the tank and would have lost most of his colour. Bettas doen't like it cold. But don't make it too hot either. 78 degrees is fine unless you are going to breed him when you need to up the temp to 80-82.
Good luck
Catherine

Just One More Betta

duce
08-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Does he have anyplace else to hide? One of my males is very shy and will jam himself on top of the submersible filter if there's nowhere to hide behind.
not at the mo just put fist plant and fish after cycle but there is a canister filter .

invadertoast
08-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Catherine is right - PVC pipes are great for bettas, mine love them and you don't have to worry about their fins getting ripped on the smooth plastic.

duce
08-10-2008, 01:16 PM
u think swordtails will be ok with him?

duce
08-10-2008, 01:38 PM
just found a piece of flint with a great hollowed out inner proped it open with a spare bit of bog wood from other tank ..now hes got a couple of hiding holes .thanks :19:

gm72
08-10-2008, 03:02 PM
u think swordtails will be ok with him?

Bettas are finicky fish, and each one is different when temperament is concerned. I have 2 of them, one loves company of just about any fish, while the other will incessantly attack any fish that is introduced to his tank. You can try, but be ready to evacuate if needed.

bettasandbeads
08-11-2008, 02:31 AM
Bettas are Great but each one is different. That's why we love them.:luxlove:
You may find your little guy will love to have a room mate but he might not. Give it a try but be ready to remove the room mate if he runs into trouble.
A number of my Bettas have room mates, snails, platies, cory, otto cats ect.
But I do have a few that like their privacy too.
Good luck and enjoy.
Catherine

ehjsne
08-11-2008, 03:12 PM
My betta used to hide behind the heater. I never knew why. I had a ton of hiding places.