PDA

View Full Version : How Active Are Red Cherry shrimp?

TRDNiteLife
08-09-2008, 04:32 PM
How active are they? Do they constantly run/swim around the tank or are they slower moving and more lazy looking? The first day I put them in, they were jetting around everywhere. Over the next few days they have become much slower moving. Most of them find a place and just sit around. Some dig around the sand while others perch on plants. Several have already molted. Two have also died. Checked water parameters and they're fine. During feeding they don't all swarm to the algae wafer. After about 10 minutes some finally realize it's there and start munching. Is this normal? Thanks.

Sounguru
08-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Yep all sounds normal except for the dying part.... Are you sure they died or was it a left behing molt... I thought I had lost one or 2 in the first few days but upon recount realized it was a molt I saw....

Lady Hobbs
08-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Are you sure your water is fine? I've never had any of mine die that fish didn't eat. The females especially stick close to the bottom and crawl around on stuff. The males swim around more than the females.

TRDNiteLife
08-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Yep all sounds normal except for the dying part.... Are you sure they died or was it a left behing molt... I thought I had lost one or 2 in the first few days but upon recount realized it was a molt I saw....

The molted shells have all been clear and the dead shrimp have been pink and sometimes curled.

Are you sure your water is fine? I've never had any of mine die that fish didn't eat. The females especially stick close to the bottom and crawl around on stuff. The males swim around more than the females.

They are in their own tank, so no fish could eat them. I put filter media from my 72 in the shrimp tank filter. When I say the water is fine, the Amm - 0, Nitrites - 0, Nitrates - 0-5. Ph between 7.6-7.8.

PUNISHER VETTE
08-09-2008, 06:52 PM
mine are pretty active... but then again maybe it's just do to i have a lot and only a few are moving around at a time.

Tolley
08-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Complete guess here but maybe it is the temperature? What is it?

TRDNiteLife
08-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Complete guess here but maybe it is the temperature? What is it?

Temp is about 77/78.

Tolley
08-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Ok scratch that idea. Sorry i'm no help.

Algenco
08-10-2008, 01:39 AM
deaths could be shrimp that molted, they must have good hiding places (Thick moss) for a few days until their shell hardens. During this time other shrimp can and do attack and kill them.

Having that many molt within days of placing them in the tank usually indicates stress of some type

squirt_12
08-10-2008, 02:18 AM
The molted shells have all been clear and the dead shrimp have been pink and sometimes curled.
If the ones that you think are dead are pink then that means that they are dead. Molts are just clear. But if its pink and curled that means that they are dead. I don't know to why they are dead but it sounds like you did lose the ones that are pink.

Jacko
08-10-2008, 03:13 AM
I find mine most active in the morning and evening, when there is a little light in the tank from the sun in the morning and from other lights on in the room at night after lights out.

I've had a few die when I first got them, when I first got my shipment from an AB seller 2 died in the first week (yes, definite deaths) but after that all was fine except when I moved the entire tank downstairs I had 1 die.

TRDNiteLife
08-10-2008, 03:26 AM
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'm going to add some more plants for hiding places.

TRDNiteLife
08-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Ok, added more plants and did a water change. Shrimp are out a little bit more. They all crowded the algae wafer when they finally realized it was in the tank. Also, no more dead ones...and that's the important thing.

squirt_12
08-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Cherry shrimp like lots of stuff to walk on meaning they don't like alot of open space in their tank. Adding more plants was a good move.