PDA

View Full Version : False Water test Readings

mrbaronisback
12-25-2006, 12:36 AM
Are there other things that can cause false test readings other than Ammo-Lock? I've read somewhere that using products from different companies can sometimes cause false readings... such as Tetra water conditioners with Aquarium Pharmaceuticals testing kits.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Fishguy2727
12-25-2006, 01:42 AM
Not that I know of. As far as I know the only way to get false readings (besides expired reagents) is with certain ammonia binding chemicals that still allow the ammonia to be counted by the reagent. I think Amquel+ will lock up ammonia but not allow it to be read, but I 'm not sure.

Lady Hobbs
12-25-2006, 04:39 AM
I used Water Clarifier from Tetra once and my pH went from 7.6 down to 5.0. I don't think it was the pH at all but the Clarifier giving me a false reading. Then I poured a big glass of water, added one drop and immediately got the same results. It took me several weeks to get my aquarium to give the correct readings again. Just a wee drop of that stuff and you get some goofy results.

That's the only products I've used that did that.

Fishguy2727
12-25-2006, 02:58 PM
You should email them and see if they have heard of that before or have an explanation of the cause.

Lady Hobbs
12-29-2006, 05:45 PM
Hi rep.....Just saw your post here. I did email them and got no response at all. I still see it advertised everywhere with "will not change pH". ppttfff

jeffs99dime
12-30-2006, 03:35 AM
can you say "false advertising!"