PDA

View Full Version : Should have seen this one coming

W_Oz
08-08-2008, 05:51 PM
So I thought to myself, "Self, you have lots of surface floaty algae type stuff going on, some Singapore Flower Shrimp ought to be just the ticket to clean that up. They'll be big enough that nothing will eat them and it'll be good, plus they look cool."

Well, apparently size isn't everything (maybe?). So the shrimp go into the tank and setup shop on the moss wall (after saying "hi" to all the other tank mates they'll be staying with which generally ignore them) and proceed to do the surface skimming thing (woo hoo!) and manage to knock all the surface algae down in the span of the afternoon (whoa). Lights out, they're still sitting on the wall. I get up the next morning (yesterday) and find that they're both gone, weird, and looking high and low I find one camping on the equipment in the corner near the water surface and can't find the other. I look all over and even behind the tank assuming an escape, but nothing. So I'm thinking it's just hiding somewhere I didn't look or moved while I was cleaning the tank and didn't notice. Lights out once again.

I get up this morning to feed the hungry lot and have a peek where I saw the shrimp last, not there. Once more with the looking around the tank, in and out, and no evidence of this shrimp, then a funny looking "rock" catches my eye in the corner, mostly because it moved. Upon closer inspection this rock is no mere rock, but the tasty tail of my dead shrimp! There's a piece of carapace laying on the substrate near it and the rest of the body is gone.

So I'm out $15 and very curious who the culprit was, though I'll never know for sure since there are two likely suspects. I don't believe it was the pictus cat, one he's only half again as big as the shrimp and two I don't think he could have gotten into the equipment area where the shrimp was last seen and three both shrimp hung out in his cave with him for the better part of an hour and he didn't even try to run them off like he does with anyone other than the little pictus cat and rubber nose.

The second culprit would be the clown loaches since they are capable of flushing a shrimp out of that area of the tank. The shrimp too briefly said their hellos to them as they headed to the moss wall.

The only other suspect (if this was indeed foul play) would be the Balas, though these deaths occurred after lights out so it was more likely one of the two more nocturnal critters in the tank.

About the rest of the inhabitants, a trio of SAEs, and a dozen ghost shrimp who seem to either not be on the menu or are faster than their would be eaters when making their escape.

Anyway, thought I'd share, I'm bummed about it but thought since the ghost shrimp were doing okay in these waters, something a bit larger and more robust would be able to avoid this grizzly fate. I suppose the other option would be that the shrimp died for some other reason and that feasting on the corpses ensued there after. I dunno. Anyway happy invert keeping.

Edit: For those wondering, I did remove the remains (well the meaty bit anyway the carapace can stay in there for the ghost shrimp to munch) and there's now a tiny mound of freshly turned earth in the garden.

PUNISHER VETTE
08-08-2008, 06:01 PM
you have ghost shrimp that aren't eaten?

those loaches i would think would go to town on them.

Alfcea
08-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Hello Oz!

I'm sorry to hear your story. I don't know anything about shrimp, so I can't help you... but being eaten is not a nice destiny for anybody, I don't think. :scry: What are you going to do next?

W_Oz
08-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Vette: Yeah, I was surprised. Originally I tossed the ghosts in to see if I could potentially put other shrimp in like Cherries or Amanos. I figured that since the ghosts seemed to be doing fine (I did lose three or four from the original bunch I put in on the first night though they might be hiding) that other larger inverts would be okay as well.

I'm hesitant now to put cherry/amanos in since I don't know how quick they are compared to the ghosts.

As for what I'm planning next, I'm not sure. I think I might just setup a shrimp and guppy tank for the girl friend since she'd like to have fish of her own now and see how well cherry shrimp will do in there and just thin the population down as needed of shrimp by putting them in the "Shrimp Death Tank".

I do still need some sort of filter feeder though I feel, either that or I need to figure out how to setup a surface skimming intake for one of my filters, which may ultimately be my best option.

Tolley
08-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Loaches eat snails so it wouldn't supprise me that shrimp are no match.

PUNISHER VETTE
08-09-2008, 02:10 AM
Loaches eat snails so it wouldn't supprise me that shrimp are no match.

thats what i was thinking....both are invertebrates right?

toddnbecka
08-09-2008, 03:55 AM
Ghost shrimp will eat cherry shrimp, so will the pictus cat and most likely the loaches. If you want to keep cherry shrimp or other similar species, set up a tank for them and forget about mixing fish with shrimp.

W_Oz
08-09-2008, 04:02 AM
Ghost shrimp will eat cherry shrimp, so will the pictus cat and most likely the loaches. If you want to keep cherry shrimp or other similar species, set up a tank for them and forget about mixing fish with shrimp.
Good to know, everything I'd read about ghosts and cherries says they'd get along. So cherries are out I guess.... *shrug* As for the Pictus and Loaches, as I said, they seem to be leaving the ghosts alone by and large. But I expect any shrimp I toss into this tank to be food anymore after this, which is more or less where I started before the ghosts went in and had me starting to think otherwise.

toddnbecka
08-09-2008, 04:16 AM
There are actually multiple species of shrimp sold as "ghost" shrimp, including the occaisonal juvenile prawn. Some of the prawns will actually grow large enough to eat fish (provided they survive long enough), some are even farmed commercially for food. When small they look pretty much like any other "ghost" shrimp.