PDA

View Full Version : my angels laid eggs...

MiamiCuse
08-08-2008, 04:50 PM
I noticed some changes in the dynamics of the tank, two angels have occupied one corner of the tank and chase after anything that comes close, and I noticed there are eggs on a piece of rock I used as the top of a cave.

However, they ate their own eggs? They chase after other fish but they ate their own eggs?

I thought both were male, but obviously I was wrong. I still do not know which is male and which is female, is there a way to tell now?

fins_n_fur
08-08-2008, 04:53 PM
If this was the first time that this pair has laid eggs, it's totally normal for them to eat their first batches until they figure it out :hmm3grin2orange: I have one pair that have spawned about 5 times now and they still don't get it LOL.

MiamiCuse
08-08-2008, 04:57 PM
its the first time. I did not know they are big enough to spawn. I thought they have to get to adult size, they still seem small to me.

What is strange is one of them seem to be defending the territory and not let anyone close. The other one doing the same, but when the first one goes off to chase other fish off, the second one sneaks in and eat the eggs. Then the first one comes back, sees it and nudge him/her away.

How do I tell who is mom and who is dad? One is a black angel and one is a white angel, will the baby be spotty angels?

fins_n_fur
08-08-2008, 05:01 PM
I don't think there is a sure method of sexing angels...just gotta watch to see which one lays the eggs, although someone with angel breeding experience probably has a better "hunch" as to which one might be male and female. If you can get some pictures of them from the side, you might get some good theories to test out.

MiamiCuse
08-08-2008, 05:15 PM
I was reading up on the net about angel spawning and one article stated that it's not unusual for two female to spawn without a single male. So it's possible I have two females?

Hails
08-19-2008, 09:17 AM
I have a breeding pair of angels, they have spawned 7 times now and still no fry cause they just keep eating them, apart from last time i got about 10 wrigglers but they got eaten by my bristlenose. My female gets a bulging stomach when ready to spawn and my male has quite a flat stomach, the male also has a slightly different shape to the female when i look at them side on. In between the mouth and the dorsal fin (top of head area) the female is fairly straight whereas the male has an extra bump. Good luck with it all:c3: