PDA

View Full Version : My two plecos are pretty agressive to each other

chronic
08-07-2008, 07:30 AM
I have a 55 gallon tank, couple gold fish and these two plecos which have been together for at least four years.

I got this tank from my dad but he never mentioned if the plecos fought much. And when I say fighting, Its not a full fledged death match or anything. But you know they're aggitated with each other and I swear its a territorial dispute...But I dont know.

People told me since the aquarium was completely emptied then refilled perhaps food supply was low, and since my nitrates are high maybe thats causing it.

But i have been lowering the nitrate levels. The plecos each get their algae pucks when I turn out the lights, I see them both eat.

But the big guy the 8" pleco is an ass to the little 7" one.

Sometimes they act really weird too, like just now typing this. I have my little desk light on, the aquarium lights are out. And the big pleco just swam right into the top of the tank?

They act really strange sometimes... Any tips??

I dont feel I'm learning fast enough to keep up with their actions.

I'm trying too since I really want them to be happy, I like them.

I bought a little fake log thing expecting maybe one of them, to take that as their little hiding spot. But I've never seen them in there. I guess I gotta find another rock for the other guy to hide under.

Edit- Or am I just being paranoid and they're just being animals lol

Fishalicious
08-07-2008, 08:08 AM
Hi...

Could you give a little bit more info..like your water parameters and most importantly which plecos?

In lot's of plecos two males will not tolerate each other...

abaigael04
08-07-2008, 12:21 PM
You might need to get rid of one of them... also, are they both common plecos? If so, they will get HUGE and there are many other smaller plecos that would fit in a 55 gal. What is the temp. of the tank? A goldfish tank is too cold for most plecos, too. I would definitely make sure you have two "houses" as they do like to have a place to hide. Also, Plecos do swim to the top of the tank sometimes - they can breathe atmospheric oxygen.. if they are doing it a LOT you may need more oxygen but if it just occasionally I would say not to worry about it.

chronic
08-08-2008, 03:27 AM
Ugh.. I really dont want to have to get rid of one... I mean, you do what you have to do.

Right now my water reads like 200ppm nitrate
0-5ppm nitrite, 75-150ppm hardness, 0 chlorine, 40ish ppm alkalinity, 6-7ph

These are my plecos
The little 7" guy http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/1chronicpls/Picture117-1.jpg
And the 8" hiding since I added some more plants tonight
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/1chronicpls/Picture116-1.jpg

Water temp sits around 81-82 normally. Today was hot so its gotten up to 84, and one a cold day it goes down to 79, haven't seen it go lower.

PETC
08-09-2008, 07:37 AM
I'm new to this too, but that seems like a very high ammount of nitrate? I could be wrong.

Also, don't goldfish like colder temps?

duce
08-09-2008, 07:45 AM
i seems to me uve got a common and a gibi they may just be getting the hump wiv each other .i wouldnt worry 2 much .
as 4 wood id ditch the fake and get real bogwood it looks better ,the plecs will graze on it u can get plants attached to them

chronic
08-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Yeah, I actually just bought a chunk of wood the other day, provides some more shelter for the little guy. So far they've both been munching on it too. So thats good.

but yeah, the nitrates are high. According to the little test kit its as unsafe as it can be heh. So, I've been doing 25% water changes every couple of days and I have 8 plants in there now. So hopefuly that equalizes things a bit.

I know goldfish are supposed to live in what...like 76degree waters-ish. But, with the hot apartment and the plecos liking warmer waters. I keep it around 84.

I dont think I'm going to do gold fish for much longer. A good starter, but I want something a bit cleaner and more interesting.

Thanks for your replies by the way! I'm learning slowely. This sites been a good source so far.