PDA

View Full Version : Fox-faced Rabbitfish. Great Fish?

mxman311
08-07-2008, 05:23 AM
I hear that these are good fish to keep. I have heard that they are hardy and will leave most tank mates alone but can hold there own if a aggressive fish is in the tank. Does any have one? Are they worth the 25 bucks? If you guys think it will make it in my 30 gallon I am going to buy one after a water sample at my LFS. They said it eats flake food to so it will be easy to feed. I plan to buy a bigger tank soon. Im pretty excited about this one. COOL FISH

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/8364/240987807983f2a61f1exp5.jpg
Shot at 2008-08-06

OscarFan
08-07-2008, 05:26 AM
definitely not in a 30g they can get up to 10 inches

spudbuds
08-07-2008, 05:34 AM
75 gallon minimum for that fish. They are beautiful fish, but your tank is too small.

unleashed
08-07-2008, 05:37 AM
definatley not for a 30g tank. I would not put any rabbit fish in a tank less than 120g

cocoa_pleco
08-08-2008, 02:52 AM
ive got a juvie in my 55g that will soon be moved to my 90g, they have a 90g minimum tank size

mxman311
08-11-2008, 03:35 AM
I plan to get my 110 gallon switched over to salt soon so I went ahead and bought a baby foxfaced and put him in my 30. He seems to want to hid most of the time but comes out to eat and seems to be healthy.

ive got a juvie in my 55g that will soon be moved to my 90g, they have a 90g minimum tank size

ILuvMyGoldBarb
08-11-2008, 04:05 AM
Well, you have touched on one of my favorite kinds of fish. If you want to generalize and apply the rules for Siganus vulpinus to all the species of Rabbit fish then you have a problem. The members of the Siganus genus range in size from 7" all the way to about 16". The fish you have picutred is Siganus vulpinus and it does reach about 10" in length. However if you are interested in a good Siganus species for a 75gal tank then I highly recommend you look into Siganus unimaculatus. This is the species of Siganid that I currently keep. Maxing out at al length of about 7" they are the smallest of the genus. If you plan on a 75 gal tank then Siganus unimaculatus is the species for you. This species is easily identified due to the black spot near the tail of the fish. However, if you do plan to purchase on of these fish, do not get one until you have the tank big enough to keep it. A 30gal tank is not a good choice for these fish for a couple of reasons. First, the fish is too big for this size tank already. Second, these fish have venomous spines on their dorsal and anal fins. The first 3 spines on each of these fins is venemous and can cause a reaction that ranges from mild to severe. Having a small tank means you can't really get away from these fish very well if you have your hand in the tank. While they are nervous fish that will generally go and hide when you put you hand in the tank, they will get familiar with you and putting your hand in the tank could result in a painful experience. If you want one of these fish then definitely wait for the 75gal tank.

Tigerbarb
08-12-2008, 06:50 AM
I think it is Rue who kept a foxface in his/her 34g, and took it back to the reef store it was from, once it out grew the tank. Your foxface will probably make it if you upgrade soon or take it back to your lfs some time.

cocoa_pleco
08-12-2008, 03:59 PM
I think it is Rue who kept a foxface in his/her 34g, and took it back to the reef store it was from, once it out grew the tank. Your foxface will probably make it if you upgrade soon or take it back to your lfs some time.

Im pretty sure Rue still has hers, she hasnt been on in a while but last time i heard she still had him for algae control

mxman311
08-16-2008, 03:13 AM
Will the fox faced get along with shrimp? I was thinking of getting a few shrimp to help clean up in the tank.

cocoa_pleco
08-16-2008, 03:45 AM
the mix should be alright