PDA

View Full Version : Oscar teeth

Full3R
12-24-2006, 03:58 AM
My oscar has teeth i learnt yesterday about 2mm long and theyre sharp and tore my skin do do oscars usually have teeth

Fishguy2727
12-24-2006, 04:17 AM
They need something to grip into things that do not agree that they should be eaten.

Nautilus291
12-24-2006, 04:38 AM
My oscar has teeth i learnt yesterday about 2mm long and theyre sharp and tore my skin do do oscars usually have teeth

Just an fyi. I dont know if you know this or not but when people say that you should feed them "live food" that doesnt mean feed them your fingers. I know that its alot cheaper then buying live food but it can hurt.

jman
12-24-2006, 05:00 AM
Pretty cool though man never payed attention i think the ones i had did also have teeth.

Severus
12-24-2006, 04:52 PM
all oscars have teeth, sometimes when my guy opens his mouth real wide you can see the ones on his jaw.

Lady Hobbs
12-24-2006, 05:30 PM
How else can those guys kill other fish? Gotta have chompers.

Welcome back BTW. Haven't seen you in a week or so.

Fishguy2727
12-24-2006, 09:29 PM
They are more of a gulper, like many large piscivores. Considering hwo small their teeth are you can tell they don't really use them that much, just as a last resort in case the fish isn't pulled completely into its mouth.

What I think is really cool is inside my jaguar cichlid's mouth, on the bones that support the gills, there are little alternating spikes sticking out from the bone helping to prevent the fish from swimming out through the gills. This is the sign of a truly large piscivore.

Juannie
01-08-2007, 05:04 AM
I learnt the hard way too. I was hand feeding my oscar one day - he got so excited he jumped up and caught my finger - yep there was blood but it wasn't too painful - lesson DON"T FEED FINGERS.:18:

TehTANK
01-08-2007, 01:35 PM
All oscars have teeth! It is pretty cool though. It's funny I have a medium size oscar that fills his mouth with food like a squirl would and then nibbles on all of it till he can swallow it. It is crazy! He acts like I never feed him!!!!

jeffs99dime
01-08-2007, 03:21 PM
i used to feed the oscar i used to have live feeder fish and he would chew them up and spit out their bones! lol

jman
01-09-2007, 06:47 PM
All oscars have teeth! It is pretty cool though. It's funny I have a medium size oscar that fills his mouth with food like a squirl would and then nibbles on all of it till he can swallow it. It is crazy! He acts like I never feed him!!!!

haha lol like a squirl dude!!!!!!!