PDA

View Full Version : How to create new betta strains?

ehjsne
08-06-2008, 11:50 PM
I know that in order to create new betta strains with decent genes and not make a genetic mutt I have to breed bettas with family...but how do i create different coloured fins from the body and half a fin one colour and the other half another. and split the colour of the body?

I am starting breeding my very first betta with my friends female betta she so kindly let me borrow.

I discussed with the manager of my lfs about how to do this and she then sed she would buy any of my bettas my a dollar each. I agreed.

So after i sell them im gonna get some quality bettas and sell them on aquabid...promote my site then take off from thier.

But in order to have any fun (just the way i am) I have to create some new strains.

Thanks
-Elijah.

jules
08-07-2008, 02:03 AM
I don't think it will be so simple. In order to create a colour change, you need to find a natural mutation and breed from that.

You can't just decide randomly what you want and then make the fish breed that way. Better to stick to a strain that already exists, and breed from the best individuals to have absolutely top quality fish.

If an unusual feature starts appearing in the young, you could attempt to fix it over many generations, by selectively breeding individuals with that trait

ehjsne
08-07-2008, 06:36 PM
So pretty much I have no controll over how my new strain will end up looking like?

graceluvsplatys
08-07-2008, 07:40 PM
yeah more or less

Sounguru
08-07-2008, 09:11 PM
So pretty much I have no controll over how my new strain will end up looking like?

Bingo welcome to Genetics....

Best you can do is a I hope method of breeding.. Say you have an Orange fish and a White fish you want a half orange half white fish. So you breed them and out of all 200 fry you get one fish that has a 3/4 pattern so you snag that fish and look for or breed for some more.. Now along about the 5th gen of you original pair you get another 3/4 fish in opposite color pattern. So you grab that. Now you breed the 2 fry you have and hope for a 1/2 fish. Lo and behold about the 5th batch of fry you get 3 1/2 fish so now you breed those and out of their fry 10% have the 1/2 trait and the others don't so you keep the 10% and breed them and so on until they breed true... Might want to set it up in your will for someone to carry on your work....:hmm3grin2orange:

ehjsne
08-07-2008, 10:22 PM
So i just have to breed the colours i want untill i get the colours i want.

So if i wanted a blue red and green betta. I would breed a blue and a red fish, then one of the babies with a green fish, then keep on breeding the babies untill i get what im looking for?

Sounguru
08-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Basically and even then it is a crap shoot....

ehjsne
08-08-2008, 12:12 AM
Ok Now im just like super confirming. I feeel like im saying the same thing just differently worded.....

All i do is breed the colours of the fish I want. Then breed the babys (after thier fully grown of course) that have the traits closest to what i want, then again, and as many times as i need till i get the results i want.

Correct?

Sounguru
08-08-2008, 01:28 AM
Ok Now im just like super confirming. I feeel like im saying the same thing just differently worded.....

All i do is breed the colours of the fish I want. Then breed the babys (after thier fully grown of course) that have the traits closest to what i want, then again, and as many times as i need till i get the results i want.

Correct?

Not totally.... I breed black molley with a white molley I get a dalmation, black and a white molley. I want the dalmation so I keep it and breed it with the next dalmation I get. Their fry consist of a dalmation a white and a speckle... the next time they breed I get all whites so no dalmations so I do not have a true strain....and so on. You will have to be real selective and then it is all based on the genes that each fish pocess. You are trying to get to a point that when you breed 2 dalmations you will always have dalmation offspring. You may never reach that point but it is fun to try. You will also need to document everything you do or it will not be recongized as a true strain. Genetics is not an easy science and sometimes breeding something like a red shrimp with a yellow shrimp doen't give you orange shrimp but harkens back to the wild form which is pretty colorless.

Basically Genetics is fickle and you will very rarely get the results you want but what you do get along the way maybe somehting you like.

Luna
08-08-2008, 05:12 AM
I suggest finding an article about basic Mendelian genetics, as well as one on betta genetics. That might help you understand how it all works. You have some control over what color variations your fish produce, but it comes down to recombination and statistics (aka chance).

Kula
08-10-2008, 04:30 AM
Reading this forum may help you a bit:
http://www.ultimatebettas.com/index.php?showforum=18

If you're trying to breed for a certain color, you'll need to document the colorations of all the offspring and breeding pairs used. Personally, I don't consider genetics too hard (though undesired mutations can throw you for a loop), but I'm quite biased since I'm studying genetics in grad school. Oh, and understanding statistics is very important, especially since you are breeding for a certain phenotype.