PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Barbs Spawing

Abbeys_Mom
08-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Do female tiger barbs guard the spawn site? I have 7 tiger barbs in my 55g and I noticed they spawn (A LOT) in one corner of the tank. The female who seems to be spawning with the largest male chases everyone out of the area and then entices the male to come over. Once they have spawned she continues to chase the other barbs away. The eggs always get eaten, but she tries so hard to keep the other barbs away. I have never seen this with other schooling fish. Usually the parents are just as active at eating the eggs.

How hard it is to raise tiger barbs? I have bred other fish, but haven't had much luck with really small fry. Bettas, gouramis and things are just too hard to feed. Can barbs be raised without BBS and infusoria? I have been thinking of setting up a spawning tank for them.

Tolley
08-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Could just be defensive behaviour protecting herself not the eggs.

As for the fry it would very hard to raise some without feeding them.

Abbeys_Mom
08-06-2008, 10:40 PM
I have used liquid fry food made from egg and that seems to work well with fry, just not tiny fry. I just really don't want to have to raise food to raise fry.

Sounguru
08-06-2008, 11:35 PM
Barbs don't gaurd their fry or spawning sites as mentioned before sounds more like she is protecting herself than anything else....