PDA

View Full Version : itchy, itchy blood parrots

Lady Hobbs
08-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Here we go... another day of constanting scratching themselves. This is a sign for my two that another spawn with be here by tomorrow. I just saw my female, upside down under a piece of wood, scratching her belly. The male copies everything she does so he has to get in on the act. This is her normal pre-spawning activity and rubs against wood, gravel and rocks all day. I seem to have the only parrots that go thru this ritual prior to spawning.

Rather odd behavior, I'd say.

Red
08-06-2008, 04:14 PM
wait i thought blood parrots were infertile?

angelcakes
08-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Here we go... another day of constanting scratching themselves. This is a sign for my two that another spawn with be here by tomorrow. I just saw my female, upside down under a piece of wood, scratching her belly. The male copies everything she does so he has to get in on the act. This is her normal pre-spawning activity and rubs against wood, gravel and rocks all day. I seem to have the only parrots that go thru this ritual prior to spawning.

Rather odd behavior, I'd say.
it is odd behaviour.....but good luck
1 question, will you get fry from these or will the parrots eat the eggs?

Billythefish
08-06-2008, 04:23 PM
thay can spown but as thay are hybrids the eggs will just die or get eaten..... is funny how bp's get through life lol so much odd thing's happen with my two.... you must have there tank verry well kept for them to try to spown lady hobbs

Lady Hobbs
08-06-2008, 04:26 PM
The eggs are infertile but they don't know that. They're not impudent, they're incompetent!

At $25 each, I wish they had a living spawn.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_11_62.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNman000)

Sharkman
08-06-2008, 06:17 PM
lady hobbs,

my parrots also itch themselves on the rocks in the tank, but I haven't seen any eggs or anything yet. They have been acting a little different lately.

duce
08-06-2008, 06:20 PM
practice makes perfect lol we all do!!!!!!!!!!

Lady Hobbs
08-06-2008, 11:33 PM
lady hobbs,

my parrots also itch themselves on the rocks in the tank, but I haven't seen any eggs or anything yet. They have been acting a little different lately.

There breeding tubes drop down even further when getting ready to spawn and the color up even more than usual. The gills of mine appear very dark purple as well at spawning time and they get more aggressive.

I generally leave the eggs for a few days so they have time to be proud then remove them. Mine always use a big vase they have for a cave so all the eggs are in one spot.