PDA

View Full Version : Goodnight Gracie....

fixedwing71
08-06-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm going to miss Grace... she's our female Betta and by the time I get home, she will be dead.

When we started this whole fish tank thing, my wife and I had a male Betta we named Bruce (for Bruce in Finding Nemo... not original, I know). He died after a couple of years and it's my understanding that's the average life span of a Betta. He started acting lethargic, then his tail literally started to disintegrate and he swam around very 'stiff'. Within the space of a few hours, he was dead.

While Bruce was still alive, we added a very pretty female Betta. We named her Grace (thinking of Bruce and Grace in Bruce Almighty). They got along fine and never nipped at each other, as far as I know. Grace has been fine all this time but a day ago, she started to look pale and was hanging out in one of the decorations.

This morning I found her wedged in between the air lines and the wall of the tank. I thought she was dead, so I went in with a net to get her and she started to move. She looks worse than she did last night and is showing the exact same symptoms as Bruce did.... pale, swimming very stiff, and her tail is falling apart. I'm hoping that's just old age for Bettas.... all the other fish in the tank are fine.

I feel terrible - I wish there was something I could do for her. I know it sound stupid but she exhibited a personality unlike the other fish... every time I sat down to look in the tank, she would swim over no matter where she was in the tank and flare at me. I took that as her saying "hello!". When I would change the water, she loved to swim in the stream of water that I was replacing into the tank. She would even do a 'racetrack' through the bubbles coming out of the bubble wall.... *sigh* I'm gonna miss Grace. :ssad:

GouramiGal
08-06-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm sorry to hear your sad news!

angelcakes
08-06-2008, 01:23 PM
sorry for your loss :ssad:

Mvjnz
08-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Are you sure it's not fin rot? Bettas are rather prone to it, and it can look like their fins 'fall apart'.

fixedwing71
08-06-2008, 02:45 PM
It's possible, but I was assuming it was just old age. All the other fish in the tank are fine. My wife called me right before she left for work and said Grace was just laying on the bubble wall, so I'll remove her from the tank when I get home for lunch.

graceluvsplatys
08-06-2008, 04:48 PM
aww... im so sorry... my name is grace too....
how sad, got some pics for her online funeral?

ehjsne
08-07-2008, 07:13 PM
try treating her for tail rot? It might be what killed bruce. athough he was a couple years old....it might have been old age too.