PDA

View Full Version : Live plants with mbunas?

gunk
08-06-2008, 03:51 AM
I'm switching from Central American to Mbunas in my 40 and I was wondering if I should remove all of my live plants or if they will be okay with the Africans?

cocoa_pleco
08-06-2008, 04:02 AM
mbunas are herbivorous for the most part, so theres a good chance the plants will be food

Jacko
08-06-2008, 04:13 AM
Depends on the plants, I've seen some mbuna tanks with plants but those plants were anubias and java fern, probably the 2 hardiest and toughest plants for a fish to munch on.

cocoa_pleco
08-06-2008, 04:20 AM
like alex said you can sometimes luck out with java fern, theyre tough enough to repair after fish eating them

dean30bb
08-06-2008, 05:16 AM
i had live plants with my africans and they were all eaten after a few weeks so i sugest lagers rocks and caves thats what i had after the plants were eaten

Ryuu
08-06-2008, 03:28 PM
You may be able to use plastic if your just looking for a plant look, but if you want live plants, mbuna will eat them.

Dixie
08-07-2008, 07:34 AM
I know of planted tanks working with mbuna, but not often. The guy I know of that had success with it had a pretty big tank and it was VERY heavily planted with well established plants. He said one of the tricks to it is to have lots and lots of plants. He started out with the planted tank THEN added the fish to it when the fish were very young & small. He also keeps them well fed. I found out the hard way that if you try to add plants AFTER you have the fish, they eat them. Hope this helps. Let us know & good luck.