PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Betta

labnjab
08-06-2008, 02:59 AM
Does anyone else's betta actually lay down when they sleep? Ours seems to just plop himself down under the heater or leaning on an ornament. Its kinda funny to watch, like a lazy teenager or something. He has also been a late riser in the morning lately. I'll turn his lights on at breakfast time (7 am) and sometimes its 5 minuets or more before he wakes up to breathe and get his breakfast. He seems to take naps throughout the day to.

I just love the unique personality that these fish have. Its as if they are part human.

Tabeguache
08-06-2008, 03:08 AM
My nephew's betta wedges himself face down (at about a 45 degree angle) in his plant. My nephew gets so excited, pointing at the tank saying "fishy sleepin'".

I used to have one that would go down to the gravel and lean to the side. I spent months wondering if he was sleeping or dying. He was the laziest fish ever. He would prop himself on the top of the tallest plant to eat.

I don't have a betta now, but keep thinking about getting another one because of their personalities.

themuffinbandit
08-06-2008, 03:17 AM
bettas are all different. one of my bettas sleeps by the heater or sometimes by my pleco. lol. the other blue one sleeps on the gravel. but the red one just like sleeps wherever though she usually manages to wedge herself between the filter and the tank. kind of wierd but i thought it was interesting. haha.

labnjab
08-06-2008, 03:28 AM
Ours has grown very lazy in the past 3 months or so. He is our only fish that i've actually seen sleep. He is very healthy and dances at times to flirt with the female betta in the next tank. Our female betta is very active and i think she thinks shes a cory sometimes because she will school with them and mimic them and try and dig through the gravel.

themuffinbandit
08-06-2008, 04:13 AM
haha. the one in the community tank is a special one. when shes in a bad mood, she killed my neon tetra. =( but nowadays she just follows the pleco around until she sees ppl.

cocoa_pleco
08-06-2008, 04:24 AM
one of my old bettas burried himself in the middle of his java moss clump and slept

angelcakes
08-06-2008, 07:57 AM
mine sleeps in his plant.......:19: :19:

Fishalicious
08-06-2008, 08:24 AM
The one we have at the moment sleeps on top of the internal filter just slightly under the surface...he can just grab air when he wants there.

bettasandbeads
08-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Bettas are great aren't they:19:
All of mine act differently. Most like to lay on any plant what will support them. I have a piece of PVS pipping connector in every tank for them. They like to sleep in it. Tail and nose sticking out the ends of the pipe.
the lazies ones like to lay on any large leaf what will be just below the water. They then don't even have to stretch to get their air. Just lift their head a bit.
I think bettas like to sleep most of the day away.
The girls don't seem to sleep as much as the boys. But then I have 5-10 females together in several tanks.
Some of my Bettas even have companions. Platy fry, corys,Otto cats, snails.
All depends on their personnality.
Catherine

Just One More Betta

GouramiGal
08-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Mine was definitely sleeping this morning. I had a panic attack, thought maybe it** was dead. Turns out just sleeping. So cute!

**I'm still not sure if it's a he or she!**

angelcakes
08-06-2008, 02:42 PM
Mine was definitely sleeping this morning. I had a panic attack, thought maybe it** was dead. Turns out just sleeping. So cute!

**I'm still not sure if it's a he or she!**
post a picture
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh47/angelfishe/smiles/36_13_13.gif

GouramiGal
08-06-2008, 02:44 PM
I know I'm trying!! I can't seem to get anything of use. If at first you don't succeed.....

themuffinbandit
08-07-2008, 03:07 AM
my bettas all wake up before me. lol i guess they wake up when its dawn or something.

bettasandbeads
08-07-2008, 05:51 AM
Have you posted a picture? If your Betta has a long or longer tail and fins, it is a male. Short fins usually mean a female unless it is a Plaket which have short fins and short tail.
Vail tails have a long V shaped tail, Half Moons have a 180 degree ( when spred)tail shaped like a half moon. and Crown tails have a tail with spikes.
Post a picture and I will probable be able to tell you if it is a boy or a girl.
Probable you have a male. Usually that is all that they sell at a local pet store.
Hope that helps.
Catherine

Just One More Betta

GouramiGal
08-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Oh thanks so much! I'll try to get a pic this weekend. I'm so bad at taking them! So the betta in your avatar is a half moon, correct?

ehjsne
08-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Mine does that about an hour after i turn the light ous. he goes behindd the heater and doesnt move. Whenever I turn the lights on he spzzes out and eagerly looks for food. I love him so much. I dont know what Im gonna do when he dies.