PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Goldfish at Petstore

KINGMED
08-05-2008, 02:05 PM
I think it's a Ryukin, quite beautiful probably the most gorgious goldfish I've ever seen, it's a good 5-6 inches long or close to that, it's 12.00 orange and white with beautiful markings and excellent tail. I would buy it for my 55 gallon but I don't just want goldfish in the tank and if I got him/her I'd have to have a dedicated tank for coldwater fish. However I'm really close to changing my mind, what kind of fish can be kept with goldfish (algae eaters and such/other fish also).

troy
08-05-2008, 09:26 PM
You could have weather loaches with goldfish.

Halelorf
08-05-2008, 09:28 PM
It is really best to keep them by themselves, and separated between the common and fancy varieties. Try to keep it either all common or all fancy as the selective breeding in fancy goldfish has made them much slower/blind/etc. compaired to their common counterparts. It may seem kind of silly to have only a tank of goldfish but believe me some of the most beautiful freshwater tanks i've seen kept just gorgeous fancy goldfish. I believe the yo-yo loach can be kept with them but really not a whole lot goes good with them.

labnjab
08-06-2008, 12:10 AM
I have a dedicated goldfish tank and its the most interesting to watch, they all have a really good personality and are always up to something.

graceluvsplatys
08-07-2008, 07:38 PM
cant plecos be kept, and snails?

labnjab
08-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Snails are fine, i have a black mystery snail in with mine but i think plecos need warmer temperatures.

Ty
08-07-2008, 09:35 PM
I have a dedicated goldfish tank and its the most interesting to watch, they all have a really good personality and are always up to something.

x2, I love my 75 gallon goldfish tank, it is so fun to sit infront of and watch all of the fish swim around.

But I do have long bodies and round bodies in the same tank (one common, one commet, one oranda, one ryukin, and one pearscale) and they all get along fine, and there is no problems with them eating enough either. Trust me, a fancy goldfish can become a beast once the food hits the water.

Halelorf
08-07-2008, 09:41 PM
cant plecos be kept, and snails?

Snails can I would be cautious about a pleco with goldfish because i've seen some nasty horror stories where the pleco will feed on the goldfishs slime coat at night. They get really nasty infected sores.

labnjab
08-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Trust me, a fancy goldfish can become a beast once the food hits the water.

Yeah they can, especially my Shubukin, If i put a few peas in, their gone before they hit the bottom. My larger black more swallows peas whole. I have a bare bottom tank and i never see any food on the bottom, they eat it all...lol

Fishguy2727
08-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Another issue with mixing the two main types of goldfish is that I have had common seat the cap on ranchus and orandas. Commons are also so active usually that although they may seem fine, when the more active commons are removed the fancies tend to settle in and become more active. No need to mix them.

I would not do any plecos. I had a ranchu lose an eye and another was torn up really badly on both sides of its body by a species generally considered 'safe'.

There are other fish that are safe. Guppies, platies, white cloud mountain minnows, dojo loaches, adn others. The guppiers and platies may get a tad nippy (more likely the platy), but I have not had any issues at all with guppies.

labnjab
08-08-2008, 12:41 AM
There are other fish that are safe. Guppies, platies, white cloud mountain minnows, dojo loaches, adn others. The guppiers and platies may get a tad nippy (more likely the platy), but I have not had any issues at all with guppies.

Thats good to know, I always thought Guppies were warm water fish, but they will survive in cold too.

Fishguy2727
08-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Well, it depends on your definiton of coldwater. Indoors my definition is unheated, room temperature water. In this case, yes, they are coldwater. I have guppies in my viquarium in the basement. It is unheated and they are loving it.

labnjab
08-08-2008, 02:40 PM
My goldfish tank stays room temperature, between 69 and 70. I'm starting breeding guppies so my 55 would be a good temporary home for them until they are big enough to sell (once they are to big to eat)

Fishguy2727
08-08-2008, 08:40 PM
Definitely look into plants in the goldfish tank. They actually do even better with all that goldfish waste in there. The only trick is providing a diet that is so complete that the goldfish don't bother the plants. I have heard of other things that work, but I use New Life Spectrum and my goldfish don't bother the plants unless they get really hungry. The plants will help provide shelter for the baby guppies.

Have you read the sticky goldfish article in the goldfish section? It will probably help you a lot.

labnjab
08-08-2008, 10:18 PM
i have read it and learned alot, thats where i got the idea for the bare bottom, we ordered some low light plants for our 30, and we will order some more for our goldfish tank in a few weeks, once we can find some driftwood to attach it to.

Fishguy2727
08-09-2008, 01:46 AM
I would just do sand, it is just as easy to clean, looks better, and they LOVE to sift through it in search of food. I can't imagine keeping mine on bare bottom.

Kula
08-10-2008, 04:47 AM
Don't put a Yo Yo Loach in with fancy goldfish! My Yo Yo Loach destroyed the fins of two fantail goldfish the first night I had them in the tank, and I had to separate the goldfish from the loach. The loach swims way too fast for the goldfish, so no matter what they do to get away from it, the loach always catches them and ravages their fins. Also, from what I've heard, weather loaches get to be quite large (like 10"), and can become very territorial.

KINGMED
08-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Fish had been bought guess it wasn't meant to be, no problem now I know what to do with the tank.

nyquil junkie
01-09-2009, 10:55 PM
Big goldfish are like keeping pigs.
I have 2 big round body tubbies and they can get pretty destructive, they like to root around and dig up the plants, and stir up the crud.

The problem is in time they get really big, as do Plecos.

I have a pleco that is now almost a foot long, and he is like an armored pig... he tears up the tank too.

And he does try to munch on the goldfish's fantails....

when they were little, they were no problem, but like puppies and kids, they dont stay small, and they are stronger than they look.

That said, the goldfish and the pleco have been in the same tank for years, with tropical fish at 76-80 degree water. Niether the goldfish or the pleco bother the little tropical fish (mollies, tetras and corys).

My goldfish are so big now soon I will have to get another tank, or a deep pond outside. the pleco, I dunno what to do with him of he gets bigger.

So consider how big any fish is gonna get down the road. A molly or a tetra stay small, a goldfish will grow as long as it can eat and breath.

and some live a very long time.
:goldfish:

cocoa_pleco
01-10-2009, 01:46 AM
old thread

nyquil junkie
01-10-2009, 07:49 AM
yeah I need to start checking dates....

saix88
02-19-2009, 01:21 PM
I don't know why people would want to mix when it ruins the whole feel of a goldfish tank. Goldfish are very elegant and having all the quick fish around them just ruin it.

Only Rubbernose and Bristlenose plecos can be with goldfish. Dojo Weather Loach can also be with them.

Fishguy2727
02-19-2009, 04:04 PM
That is a matter of opinion.

Plecos are from the Amazon, quite tropical. There are a lot of species that can go in the subtropical temps that goldfish are usually kept at.

cocoa_pleco
02-19-2009, 11:26 PM
I don't know why people would want to mix when it ruins the whole feel of a goldfish tank. Goldfish are very elegant and having all the quick fish around them just ruin it.

Only Rubbernose and Bristlenose plecos can be with goldfish. Dojo Weather Loach can also be with them.

old thread