PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Gecko Sleeping

Tolley
08-05-2008, 01:09 AM
Isn't she cute.

Ryuu
08-05-2008, 01:29 AM
Oh wow she is lol, jw, what do you house her in? Ive been looking at a gecko at my lfs.

KrytterKrys
08-05-2008, 02:07 AM
ah cute, they always look so peaceful! here's mine :)

Fishalicious
08-05-2008, 08:09 AM
I loooooooooooooove them!! Since seeing some pics from Tolley I want one so bad LOL

Could someone give me more info on their care & housing?

angelcakes
08-05-2008, 08:25 AM
she sure is cute:1luvu:

Tolley
08-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Yours are adorable Krys.

Jess they are very easy to keep in my opinion.

Info on Housing As a rule i have seen used it is 10 gallons per gecko but much like the 1 inch of fish per gallon rule it is rubbish. You want the width to be a bit bigger than the size of your full grown gecko. On average leopard geckos grow to 8 inches (unless you have the giant strain which can grow bigger.) As long as the width and ofcourse length are right a small tank can be achieveid by adding a second level in the tank (slate works very well for this) So you can nearly double the footprint. Only house more than one leopard gecko togetehr if they have grown up together. I learnt this the wrong way. I have 1 in an 18x10x10 inches and 2 in a 24x12x15 inches.

Feeding - You will need to feed crickets on a daily basis this means if you can buy from a breeder not your lfs. I buy mine from here http://www.livefoodsdirect.co.uk/ For storing them when you get them get a big container with a tight lid and put the stuff eggs come in, in their for them to hide also feed them fresh fruit daily (sometimes i miss a day and they seem to go fine without it for one day. It is best to dust your crickets you are about to feed with calcium every other day of feeding to make sure he/she is getting enough to prevent disease.

Other needs - A heat source will be need IMO a heat mat is the best for this as the leopard geckos absorb the heat through their stomachs. THe heat mat will need to cover half the bottom of the tank. A calcium and water dish will be needed. I use those little thing you stand plant pots in to collect the water and bottle lids. Next are the hides. I like to put in as many as possible varying so they have lots of choice. You can use basicicly (i really need to learn how to spell that) any plastic container with a cutout entrance, pieces of wood with caves and i even made a cave out of plaster of paris. One the hides will need to be lined with kitchen roll and sprayed daily to keep damp. Keep the moist hide and water bowl on the side of tank without the heat mat. For substrate it is best IMO to use kitchen roll. It is cheap and easily changeable when the gecko poos on it.

Thats some basic info PM if you need anymore :)

and thanks everyone !

fins_n_fur
08-05-2008, 11:30 AM
Great picture!---I am tempted to get one as they are beyond cute, but not sure about the cats and and a gecko or cats and crickets anda gecko LOL. I'll see how I do once the barb tank is set-up.

Basically is how you spell basically. :11:

KrytterKrys
08-05-2008, 03:02 PM
well tolley pretty much covered everything! they can be very entertaining to watch, especially when their hunting down their crickets! they get excited and wag their tails! my cats only take interest when i take the tank down to clean them then they'll come over and sit next to me just watching, they take a lot more interest in the crickets though they sit by the cage for hours watching! but every cat is different...mine dont bother the birdies either...

Tolley
08-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks Fins n Fur and yeah Kyrs i love watching them hunt they get really excited.

Ryuu
08-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Wow, they seem really cool, If only I had the money though, I would get one today.

KrytterKrys
08-06-2008, 04:35 PM
lol they def are, ive had mine since they were babies...so there about 4 & 5 now i think? i can talk to my one (topi) and she'll turn her head and listen, i can pick her up too whereas the other one could care less

here's some more pics....
10093Gypi Dee

10094Topi saw a cricket!

10095EW! Gypi licked my eye!

10096Hello!

10097Gypi licking her lips after a tasty meal

Tolley
08-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Yours are awesome! Here are my two other leopard geckos

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd82/Mwahahahaa/DSC03402a.jpg
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd82/Mwahahahaa/DSC03399a.jpg
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd82/Mwahahahaa/DSC03387a.jpg

KrytterKrys
08-07-2008, 02:51 AM
how cute! yours are still young, i always have to resist getting another one when i see babies! its neat how their colors/patterns change as they get older....

heres the top head view of topi there used to be a cool smileyface pattern on it, its still there but the eyes and smile are disappearing..there also used to be a party hat shape above it but that split too <|:-(

10107:-)

Tolley
08-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Haha thats awesome i think i can see it :19:

I know about the growing up thing too after seeing the parents of my two newest i cant wait to see them grown up!