PDA

View Full Version : mantis

cocoa_pleco
08-04-2008, 07:57 PM
BV9z5e1r2KM

the mantis must be sick, right?

angelcakes
08-04-2008, 08:15 PM
cocoa.........when you say "mantis must be sick" what do you mean? i know nothing about these what so ever,

cocoa_pleco
08-04-2008, 08:22 PM
cocoa.........when you say "mantis must be sick" what do you mean? i know nothing about these what so ever,

mantis can break your bones easily, most people who keep them feed them with a stick and clean the tank with tools and dont stick their hands in the tank. the fact that the guy is actually holding it is crazy

angelcakes
08-04-2008, 08:24 PM
mantis can break your bones easily, most people who keep them feed them with a stick and clean the tank with tools and dont stick their hands in the tank. the fact that the guy is actually holding it is crazy
thanks for that......i understand now,:19:
and in agreement it must be i'll

smaug
08-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Wow,that is a cool lookin critter.I can see now why people worry about them breaking the tank!

ILuvMyGoldBarb
08-04-2008, 09:54 PM
That is insane. Either that mantis is sick or it is way too tame.

smaug
08-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Is that there normal size?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
08-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Depends on the speceis. Some species do get quite large.

unleashed
08-04-2008, 10:17 PM
depends on the species. Some will not grow more than a couple of centimeters while others can grow larger than 50cm

In Asian food markets people actively pick them up with their hands. Sometimes they get whacked and sometimes they don't. They get whacked more times than not though :)

gem
08-05-2008, 01:24 AM
That was Lysioquillina maculata. And that child is an idiot!

YaYgoldFish
08-05-2008, 01:38 AM
looks like something youd see on Jackass lol

Halelorf
08-05-2008, 01:53 AM
That was Lysioquillina maculata. And that child is an idiot!

I second that! Amazing he has lived this far from what I just saw. Can't believe he still has all his fingers or even a hand. I know that must have taken some time before it let him do that. Had to have whacked him atleast once. Sick animals are usually more defensive unless they are moments from death.

cocoa_pleco
08-05-2008, 03:10 AM
i wonder how the first time he got the guts to hold one. When i got my live rock rubble from big als, they had mantis shrimp in the tank, and the worker was terrified that the mantis would come out

Red
08-05-2008, 03:15 AM
i watched the whole thing waiting for the guy to get bit.. lol

cocoa_pleco
08-05-2008, 03:28 AM
i watched the whole thing waiting for the guy to get bit.. lol

its not the bite, their front legs hit as fast as a .22 rifle shot.

I think i might go for one in my 55g breeder, i can get the species that is less likely to shatter the tank and if ive had a volitan lionfish for this long without getting stung i can handle a mantis

Red
08-05-2008, 03:29 AM
its not the bite, their front legs hit as fast as a .22 rifle shot.

I think i might go for one in my 55g breeder, i can get the species that is less likely to shatter the tank and if ive had a volitan lionfish for this long without getting stung i can handle a mantis

i think you are ok if you can handle those glass breakers in the 90 i think you are fine with the mantis

cocoa_pleco
08-05-2008, 03:34 AM
i think you are ok if you can handle those glass breakers in the 90 i think you are fine with the mantis

another good point, my 55g breeder has the same thick glass as my 90g and if all is good with a 13" pacu and 8" pacu a mantis should be a issue

Halelorf
08-11-2008, 04:26 AM
Think a possible answer to the handling question can be answered at the end of this presentation on mantis shrimp. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHTTIg7HY80 right near the end the presenter talks about how the force of their attack wears away the heel of appendage and requires the shrimp to molt allowing a new heel. When the heel gets worn down that much it exposes the raw tissue below and striking at that point would cause permanent damage to their body which is why they will bluff a attack and wave their hands. Pretty cool little critters :hmm3grin2orange:.

cocoa_pleco
08-11-2008, 04:27 AM
cool!

my worst worry is how to get him out of the bag when i get him. Im thinking slit a hole in the bag with a knife and maybe let him crawl out himself. i could also use a claw grabber and attatch a knife on the end and cut open the bag

gem
08-12-2008, 01:36 AM
He won't likely come in a "bag" cocoa. He'll probably come in a plastic tub. You'll want to use caution handling that as well. You should acclimate him just like you would any new inhabitant. Get a 5 gal bucket and pour him and his water in the bucket and drip acclimate him. You can use a large net to get him out of the bucket and into the tank. They aren't very agile on land or in a net. Don't use tongs....you'll injure him. and be aware that when you are trying to catch him...he WILL strike the net. LOL