PDA

View Full Version : Stocking for 66Gn Need help

Gemini
08-04-2008, 04:00 AM
Hi All,
Well I'm ready to start researching the stocking for my new tank. It's approx 260 litres/66G. I want to put my clown loaches and yoyo loaches in there. I was going to have 3 of each of them. Then I want to get some africans. I was thinking of the following:
1xjohannii
1x electric yellow
1x electric blue
1 x rusty
1x Steatocranus casuarius
1 x Pseudotropheus Crabro

All comments welcome! If anything won't work, or anyone has cool ideas please let me know. The plan is for white coloured substrate, probably the crushed coral stuff to keep the PH up, lots of rocks and pots for homes, two powerheads 800 litres/hour each.
Oh and I know I'm supposed to overstock to deter aggression. How many fish am I looking at to do that?
I really want a bright coloured tank with cool colours!! Please help me :)

Gemini
08-05-2008, 04:14 AM
Please can someone help me. Or give me a stack of links? I'm trying to research but I'm confused with the names of them all :(

Red
08-05-2008, 04:18 AM
i would bump up the group of fish to about 3-4 africans should be a bit overstocked

Gemini
08-05-2008, 04:24 AM
So instead of just one of each of the fish I listed I could have 3?

Red
08-05-2008, 04:28 AM
yeah 2-3....

Dixie
08-07-2008, 07:56 AM
I wouldn't get the crabro. They get super mean. The johanni can too. The Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos or maingano like the fish in my avitar is kinda the same color as the johanni but alot more mellow. I never heard of the Steatocranus casuarius. The electric yellow is Labidochromis caeruleus or yellow lab but what is the electric blue? I would only get 3 possibly 4 species (that's what's recommended for that size tank) and I'd try to have 1 male & 3-4 females of each species. Then you would have 3-4 nice breeding groups and the right amount of fish.

Gemini
08-08-2008, 03:21 AM
Okay so it looks like I need to do a bit more reading... The electric blue I was referring to is this one: http://www.livefish.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1680 The only name I can find is electric blue...
I'll do some reading about the Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos as it is the colour I really like so if they are the same colours then less aggro would be good I guess.
I really like the colours of the crabro - is there a nicer one I could get that is a different colour to blue or yellow?
The Steatocranus casuarius is some fish with a big hump on its head that my partner really really wants.

Gemini
08-08-2008, 03:49 AM
According to this link the johanni is the same as the Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos
http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Maingano_Melanochromis_cyaneorhabdos.php
Is this right or not?

The Wedge
08-08-2008, 07:29 AM
I always push the P. Demasoni & Yellow Lab tank. Everyone thinks Demasoni are mean...I have never had any problems with them...Both species breed like crazy...almost too many fry. Plus it makes a beautiful tank and Demasoni are goofy little buggers. No casualties of war...mine play nice:c2:

kaybee
08-08-2008, 11:03 AM
According to this link the johanni is the same as the Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos...Is this right or not?

No, the m. johanni (typical common name 'johanni')and m cyaneorhabdos (typical common name 'electric blue johnani') are two different species.

Johanni's are born yellowish. The females stay that way but the males transform in to blue/black fish. The cyaneorhabdos are born (and remain) blue/black.

The other 'electric blue' you referred to is a s. fryeri, a type of hap. Probably not compatible with your tank or intended tank mates.

Gemini
08-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Thanks Kaybee for the help!! All the different names confuse me!! SO it's the electric blue johanni the m cyaneorhabdos that would be ok? I dont want a really cranky tank, just some personality and good colours.

kaybee
08-10-2008, 12:02 AM
Small groups of each species (4-5 fish per species) as previously suggested should be fine if stocking the m. cyaneorhabdos, yellow labs, and rusties. That combination will provide a variety of colors.

Being riverine african cichlids, I'm not sure how well the buffalo heads/Steatocranus casuarius will fit in with the mbuna's or what numbers they should be in (they pair up as opposed to being polygamous breeders like the mbunas). Since they're a more peaceful type of cichlid, you may want to establish them in the tank first prior to added the mbuna's. Be advised, their may be some incompatibility issues.

Dixie
08-11-2008, 01:37 AM
I agree with Kaybee... 4-5 each of M. cyaneorhabdos, yellow labs, & rusties would make a nice tank as long as you don't have to many males. One male per species is the best. It doesn't matter so much with the labs though.

Gemini
08-13-2008, 12:45 AM
Thanks Kaybee and Dixie for your help! I'm going to go along those lines, but I will have to include the Steatocranus casuarius but from what I've read if I put him in first he should be ok. We'll see how we go! Thank you!!

Dixie
08-13-2008, 04:29 AM
Good luck!

Steffish
08-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks Kaybee and Dixie for your help! I'm going to go along those lines, but I will have to include the Steatocranus casuarius but from what I've read if I put him in first he should be ok. We'll see how we go! Thank you!!

Not to say it couldn't be done, but there's ALOT of "if"s there.
Like Kaybee says there are incompatibility issues. Mbuna are AGGRESSIVE. ALL the time! That's why you always see them in large groups so they have a harder time singling out any one individual. But from my experience, they still tend to pick each other off with fair regularity. They generally like a higher PH @7.5 at least. They get fairly large-15cm/6". The yellow labs may not even be able to keep up with them as they aren't as aggressive and don"t get as big-10cm/4". They are rift lake cichlids.

The Steatocranus casuarius(also known as blockheads, buffalo heads,or lionheads) are from the Zaire/Congo river. They prefer a PH of@6.5-7.0 (When they're happy with water quality their eyes turn amazingly blue)
They are generally peaceful enough for a community tank only becoming aggressive at breeding time when defending their young, and even then it's mostly chasing other fish away not attacking. They are considered a "dwarf cichlid" as the males MIGHT get to 12cm/5" and the females smaller.

Both Mbuna and Buffs need plenty of rockwork and prefer a more vegetarian diet so they would be competing for the same territories and foods.

As for the loaches, some of the same issues arise.
Sorry to be so long-winded, but this is the place to go on about our fish right?, your best bet is to do AS MUCH RESEARCH AS POSSIBLE-Books, Friends, Magazines, online, etc.
Do a google for aquarium clubs/societies in your area. Great way to get info, cool fish, etc. and meet fish fanatic friends in your area! Its normal to them!

Some websites to check out-
http://www.loaches.com/
http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ This one you could get lost in for months!
http://fish.mongabay.com/ (that should be good for starters)

Hope this helps some!

GeneralGoldeneye
08-30-2008, 08:54 PM
Electric blue hap is a beautiful fish to have and are fun to watch

Gemini
09-02-2008, 05:00 AM
Thanks everyone for your help.
Thanks for the info Steffish. Trust me I have been researching! I was hoping to get a real experience from someone on here.
I read all I could and now we'll see how it all goes.
Thanks again :19: